17-Sep-2009, 02:02 AM

I googled this
http://www.michaelscruiserparts.co.uk/Contact.html
I remember it being a grocery shop.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
17-Sep-2009, 11:21 AM

Thanks Tony.

Wow, it looks like it was quite a big house as Frank said.

If I ask nicely, they might let me have a good look round when I go up there. I could wear some leathers too of course !!! Lol!!!

Wendy
17-Sep-2009, 10:10 PM

quote:

Originally posted by anacortesdamp

The gap where 21 would have been may have been a wooden building that housed a bike shop.

Yer reet Frank.
Was it a bloke called Holmes who had it? A motorbike man.I seem to recall my dad saying when he was younger he liked to show off a bit and thunder round Leyland on a fancy bike of that time (Scott seems to ring a bell)
17-Sep-2009, 11:13 PM

If he rode a Scott, the Flying Squirrel was the bike's model name (a bit weird). It was a water-cooled twin-cylinder 2-stroke, 500cc capacity, I think. The Scott brand didn't survive long into the post-war years and there are very few of them left.

I also remember that building (or maybe the one next door), being a small grocery, then a short block of houses and then the newsagent's on the corner of Stanley Street.

Growing up, I was often around that area, as the family went to the Methodist Church. I did the usual things, Life Boys, Boys' Brigade, Clubland, and my maternal grandparents lived just on Bent Lane (number 168). It was just at the bottom of the railway bridge slope down to Bent Lane, after the dead-end street that didn't follow the slope. Grandad was Ted Newsham, who ran a Plumbing, Painting and Decorating business from their home.

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
18-Sep-2009, 09:51 AM

Thanks Audrey!! [Smile]

Wendy
27-Sep-2009, 05:19 PM

Ayup

25 Turpin Green is as other posts have confirmed still their and is at present Micheal's Cruiser parts, however Micheal doesn't own the property the chap who owns it lives upstairs in a flat. He will be the one to contact to get to look at other than in the downstairs shop, but I'm sure that Micheal will help with that.

Next door to 25 at 23 was a bakery, Wadesons, when I was a lad.

Bob Holmes had the cabin next door as a cycle repair shop but he lived at no 2 Goulding ave not on Turpin Green.

He did have a motorbike but I seem to remember it was a Vincent 1200 with a Steam sidecar, all us lads in Goulding ave used to flock round it everytime he brought it out.
11-Oct-2009, 03:18 PM

Thanks Dave for your info (sorry for delay in my reply, I haven't been on the website for a while).

I am hoping to go up there next week, I live in Oxfordshire so its a bit of a trek. I haven't been to Leyland for many years.

Wendy
16-Sep-2012, 04:16 PM

I have just discovered that my ancestors also lived on Turpin Green Lane (no 42) The 1881 census shows the Blackburn family as living there.Mary Blackburn b 1808/9 nee Entwistle(widow of Thomas b 1813)and daughters, Agnes b 1833 Elizabeth b 1848/9 Elizabeth.E b 1850?and grandaughter Margaret b 1856. the furthest back I have got is to 1789 when Richard Blackburn was born to Ann Blackburn in Leyland (a pauper). Any help out there as to where in Leyland this means (from lan-opc. website) and as there is no name of father I assume Richard was illegitimate.I have hit a stumbling block!
16-Sep-2012, 09:05 PM

Welcome Liz, the term pauper could mean she was a widow with no income exept possibly being funded by the town.

frank h.
18-Sep-2012, 10:39 AM

Thanks Frank, I was curious because lan-opc usually states son/dau of --- and ---- or ---- singlewoman whereas this just said, notes- a pauper.
lazyliz