Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Isle of Man
15-Mar-2010, 08:39 PM
Isle of Man
Noel, I thought this might interest you. When my Dad returned from the 1st World War he went to work at Cunninghams Holiday Camp in the Isle of Man. My half sister was born their. I have just found her birth on the Public Records Website so I have sent for a copy. Hopefully it will give me an address where they lived during his years on the Island.I have also asked if they have any information on the Holiday Camp during the 1920's. I suppose it must have been situated around the Douglas area.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
16-Mar-2010, 08:53 AM

Intersting Avril, there's a write up here about the camp.

http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/.../index.htm
16-Mar-2010, 11:59 PM

Noel, do you recall the Douglas holiday camp - I wonder what happened to that ? I recall taking a holiday there approx 1955 /6
17-Mar-2010, 07:49 AM

What an interesting article ,thanks Audrey. I remember my Dad talking about Cunninghams and of course 'little Switzerland' is still there I think? Noel you will know hopefully.
17-Mar-2010, 02:11 PM

I don't recall the camp Alan, when I visited in the fifties the furthest we got was the prom on a lovely sunny day, I think we only had a few hours there before the boat returned to Fleetwood.
Little Switzerland is close to Noble's Park in Douglas Dedrah, though I don't know a thing about it's history I must confess. Do you know anything about it? My son's about to return to England by the way, his wife lost her job last September and has been over here ever since with their daughter and my son comes back very reluctantly as he loved the place, but obviously loves his family more, to start a new job in Rossendale.
17-Mar-2010, 02:45 PM

So sorry to hear about your Son Noel. Perhaps when things pick-up they will be able to return. Regarding Cunninghams Camp all I know about it was that it was an all male camp and it was still open in 1934. If you do a search for the camp you will get information.
I did find a link from the website you sent me Noel and I was able to find my half sisters birth records. I called the registar this morning and they are willing to send it to me but I have to search around and find some English money or go into an international bank and get a bankers cheque to send to them they do not do credit card transactions and my bank does not do it.
13-Apr-2010, 10:41 PM

Muffers. Cunninghams camp was situated on the cliff top on the coast road dfrom Douglas to Onchan, the stonegate way is still standing altghough it has now been built upon with dewelling houses. You may be able to obtain further particulars from the Manx Museum in Douglas, they are very good in giving assistance to all enquiries.
17-Apr-2010, 09:06 PM

Further to my previous remarks, As I stated it was situated on Howstrake head, bbetween Douglas and Onchan, the entrance was from the coast road and the camp overlooked Groudle Glen, there are still a few remains of the camp including a tunnel under the road which allowed campers to catch the Electric Tram into Douglas or Northwards to Laxey.Joining the Forum has certainly awakened my memories.
07-Jan-2011, 06:52 PM

I went to Cunninghams in the 50s, as I remember it the names were, Howstrake, Cunninghams and Douglas, all the same holiday camp, it had a moving stairway from the top to the bottom of the cliff,I remember seeing Billy Fury there in the talent show at the camp before he was famous, just on of the lads encouraged to get up on stage and perform and he won hands down. we went every year from me being 14 to 17, happy days and good memories, I`m now 71, thanks for jogging my old memory banks.

djh
08-Jan-2011, 04:13 AM

As a lifelong motrocycle enthusiast, an employee of Norton-Villiers and a resident of Leyland, it is to my eternal chagrin that I never made it to the Isle of Man.

I joined N-V in 1967, just after Peter Inchley's attempt to win the 250 TT was screwed up by the fuel supplier. He might have won!

Maybe, if we come over again (when there's a trans-Atlantic bridge I can drive our motorhome across!), we'll get to the island.

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.