Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Isle of Man
11-Mar-2011, 04:09 AM

Frank
It was 1959 and 1960. Silver City was very successful in it's day, hauling an incredible amount of people and cars. Not so sure about the Freddie Laker connection though.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_City_Airways
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
11-Mar-2011, 04:13 AM

Noel:

Does nobody fly Blackpool-Douglas now? I'm sure the "flying brick' you refer to was a Shorts 330 or 360, They were unashemdly slab-sided un-pressurised turboprop airplanes. The 330 carried about 25 passengers and had twin fins/rudders. The 360 was a stretch of the 330 for about 40 passengers and had a large single fin and rudder.

Because they weren't pressurised, they didn't get much support anywhere except the UK and some of the developing nations in Africa.

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
11-Mar-2011, 10:14 AM

I'm glad you know your planes Frank, I wouldn't have had a clue.
Looking at the photos on the internet I think it must have been a Shorts 330. Though it didn't look half as posh as the photo I accessed. I remember it held about 24 passengers and the pilot and his 2ndIC were Polish and kept looking back and grinning at us.
It must have been about 50 years old!
Manx2 still fly from Blackpool to IOM Frank but it costs anywhere from £100 to £200 return.. cheaper to fly to Portugal.