Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Introduction
27-Mar-2010, 12:45 PM
Introduction
My Name is Bob Hothersall.I attended Balshaws from 1952 to 1959 and my sister Glenys Hothersall from 1950 to 1957.

I remember Frank Damp in my form and walked with him on the cross country runs.

I have enjoyed reading the postings, took me back and sparked up the memories.

I now live in Hertfordshire having retired from lecturing and my sister now lives in New Zealand.

Regards to you old Balshavians.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
27-Mar-2010, 03:39 PM

Hello Bob and welcome

Martin ~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-Mar-2010, 07:19 PM

Thank you for your welcome. Am I on the site for linking up with old Balshavians?
27-Mar-2010, 08:16 PM

You should find one or two on here Bob.

Martin ~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-Mar-2010, 10:04 PM

Welcome Bob, if you read the Balshaw's thread you'll see I started at the school in '57 I was a good friend of Robin Bourne who was A.J.R. Bourne's brother probably nearer your era?
28-Mar-2010, 12:09 AM

Bob:

Were we in the same form all the way through to 5B?

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
28-Mar-2010, 12:53 PM

Hi Frank and Noel.Thanks for your quick replies.I have enjoyed digging out all my old school Photos,I have 1951 (I'm not on this one but my sister is) and 1953.I donn't have the 1959 but I'm on the staff row 5th from the left.I think you left in the lower 6 year Frank so I'm sure your not on this one.I remember you well Frank you were our Latin star always called on to translate by I think Mr Lettley??I failed it miserably along with other things,but made good along the way.I guess the right foundations must have been laid but not taken advantage of at the time.
Noel: I knew the Bourne family well, they lived near me in Lostock Hall we caught the same school bus. AJR featured in most of the excellent school productions.
Frank: I left Lancs in 1969 for Hertfordshire.I met Bob Swabrick a few times after leaving but that's my only contact since then. Other members of our form I can recall were Anderson (joined the navy),Rutter,Taylor (became snooker player,seen him on telly a few times),Mcgall??. I joined you on Black's runs for the strolls in the back playing fields, only made it to Worden Park when the Marshalls were out.I was a sprinter if you recall ran for the school at county meets (100 and 200yds never much good at longer distances).I was never in Brown's good books but he had to admit I could run.Do you remember that gym lesson when Taylor dropped the ropes on his head and he practically kicked him round the gym!!
From the sounds of things Frank you are enjoying life over there hope you can remember me from the 1959 photo on the School site. If you have 1956 photo where are you?

Regards Bob
28-Mar-2010, 06:29 PM

Bob:

We never got the school photos in my family. There's one on the forum somewhere, I think from 1959.

I started lower 6th at the start of the 1957/58 sschool year, doing Pure Maths, Applied Maths and Physics. Unfortunately, the two maths classes were taught by Mr. Wlikinson, who wasn't the slightest bit interested in teaching boys and couldn't explain things very well. I gave up in April 58 and signed on as a Student Apprentice with (then) English Electric at Warton. The apprenticeship actually ran just over 7 years, but I got a B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Salford out of it.

I remember Jim Anderson a bit, and Jim McGaw (not McGall). I was good friends with Bob Swarbrick and Graham Brown, but didn't keep in touch with anyone from our class after Balsahw's. My sister still sees Valerie Roocroft (Metcalfe when we were in school) occasionally.

We don't regret emigrating to the US, though the politics are getting very messy these days. Where we live now (Anacortes) is great. It's a small seaside town, about 16,000 population and is in some of the nicest scenery anywhere in the world. We told a relative who was coming out to see us that the area was "really pretty". After a few days she said we had lied - it wasn't "pretty", but absolutely magnificent. The climate is easy to live withm if you don't mind a fair bit of greay and stodgy in the winter.

Regards,

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
30-Mar-2010, 11:53 AM

quote:

Originally posted by ozzy

Hi Frank and Noel.Thanks for your quick replies.I have enjoyed digging out all my old school Photos,I have 1951 (I'm not on this one but my sister is) and 1953.I donn't have the 1959 but I'm on the staff row 5th from the left.I think you left in the lower 6 year Frank so I'm sure your not on this one.I remember you well Frank you were our Latin star always called on to translate by I think Mr Lettley??I failed it miserably along with other things,but made good along the way.I guess the right foundations must have been laid but not taken advantage of at the time.
Noel: I knew the Bourne family well, they lived near me in Lostock Hall we caught the same school bus. AJR featured in most of the excellent school productions.
Frank: I left Lancs in 1969 for Hertfordshire.I met Bob Swabrick a few times after leaving but that's my only contact since then. Other members of our form I can recall were Anderson (joined the navy),Rutter,Taylor (became snooker player,seen him on telly a few times),Mcgall??. I joined you on Black's runs for the strolls in the back playing fields, only made it to Worden Park when the Marshalls were out.I was a sprinter if you recall ran for the school at county meets (100 and 200yds never much good at longer distances).I was never in Brown's good books but he had to admit I could run.Do you remember that gym lesson when Taylor dropped the ropes on his head and he practically kicked him round the gym!!
From the sounds of things Frank you are enjoying life over there hope you can remember me from the 1959 photo on the School site. If you have 1956 photo where are you?

Regards Bob

Welcome to the forum, Bob - I only started at Balshaws the year before you left so you won't remember me, but I too knew the Bourn family very well as I lived further down Todd Lane North and used to walk up for the school bus (S18) along with Robin, Kathleen Jackson and Sue Trenchard. Last saw Robin around 1976 when he was visiting his mum, along with his wife Wendy and baby daughter Jenny. They did have another daughter later, probably grandparents now! So sad what happened to Anthony, I don't think the family ever got over it.
30-Mar-2010, 01:10 PM

Dorothy I remember Kathleen well she was in my class in the first year, but think she got streamed into another group the following year.
We last saw Robin's mother back in the late eighties in St James church. She approached us after the service, having remembered me unbelievably, from 1964 when I was 17!! (when I last visited her house.) She said Robin was living in Birmingham but I never heard again from him after I left school.

Bob the latin teacher was Joe Leathley.