Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fox Lane School - with photo
10-Feb-2012, 04:18 AM

I was just a little bit ahead of you, Christine. I started at Fox Lane Infants in (I think) 1946. I was certainly there in the very snowy winter of 1947. I remember drifts up agaionst the chrchyard wall opposite the wnd of Sandy Lane that were deeper than I was tall.

Miss Holden was the headmistress with Mrs Smith teaching the second class, and Mrs Prendergast teaching the first. Were there 4 classes? If so, I can't remember the 4th teacher.

At the Junior school I took the 11+ exam early and skipped Miss Wayne's year. I started at Balshaw's in 1952. I tried Sixth Form, but ran afoul of Mr. Wilkinson. Since he was teaching two of my three A-level subects (Pure Maths and Applied Maths), it was a disaster. I bailed out in April of 1957 and went to work at English Electric as a Student Apprentice. Now retired (just passed the big 7-0) first from almost 30 years at Boeing and then from our County Transit Agency after 3 years as a bus driver and a few other odd jobs there.

Frank Damp

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
10-Feb-2012, 07:12 PM

Hi Frank,
My sister is a couple of years older than me and I can remember her talking of Miss Holden and Miss Smith. I also remember Mr Wilkinson as I too went to Balshaws. He was always on the school field taking photographs as I recall.I read on this site that he had died suddenly at his sisters home in France.When I was ther Mr Bleasedale was head. What about you ?
10-Feb-2012, 07:15 PM

I remember Miss Walsh marrying and becoming Mrs Wallace. What year did you start Woodlea. I started in 1968 and was in Mrs Jepthas class. My name was Christine Holland
11-Feb-2012, 04:09 AM

Chris:

When I was at BGS, Victor Oldland was the headmaster. I think Fred Bleasdale took over a year or so after I left.

"Old Vic" and I had a rather heated exchange after the assembly at the start of the year I went into 6th form. I had been very specific about the subjects I wanted to take (pure maths, applied maths and physics) and the carreer I intended to pursue (engineering). In the assembly where they read out the classes you're assigned, I was surprised to find I had been placed in English, French and Latin. I was particularly puzzled because I'd failed O-level Latin.

I was in Miss Moss's office within seconds of the end of assembly and I was ushered into "Old Vic's" sanctum. I was irate and less polite/subservient than the acceptable attitude, and may even have used words unsuited to the politically important location. It turned out that various teachers had identified a knack for languages. They were right, but I was set on being an engineer. They had (correctly) recognised that I failed Latin at O-level deliberately to concentrate on other subjects and thought I would make a good foreign language interpreter/translator.

After my altecation with VUO, I was quickly reassigned to the courses I had signed up for, but, to my chagrin, my two mathematics classes were to be taught by Mr. Wilkinson. My first end-of-term report said that I was "too dense to understand the concepts of mathematics and should seek an alternative career path".

I quit Balshaw's in April of that year and went to English Electric as a Student Apprentice. In my first year at Blackpool Tech, I scored a 100% in the maths exam! So much for being "too dense". Maybe Wlikie's attitude towards me was really because I wasn't a girl!!

I won a Technical State Scholarship and ended up with a Dipl.Tech.(Mech) from the Royal Colletge of Advanced Technology - Salford, which got translated into a B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Salford. (shame really, as the Dipl. Tech. would have been equated to a Master's Degree by Boeing. The change cost me $600 a year in starting salary!).

Bottom line, I doubt I got anything out of going to Balshaw's that I couldn't have got from the Secondary Modern or going to Harris Tech. Balswhaw's was (and maybe still is) an elitist school with an abhorrence of anyone seeking college appointments anywhere other than in the "Classical" universities and going on to be Greek or Latin teachers in similarly hide-bound excuses for schools.

I hated every minute I was incarcerated in that place and I would be overjoyed to see it burn to the ground, even now. Needless to say, I haven't been involved in any of the "Old Boys" things (a bit difficult from 4,000 miles away).

Many of the teachers when I was there were over 70 years old. Some had even taught my Dad when the school was on Golden Hill! When my brother, who was 8 years younger, went through, almost all those old dodderers had gone and it was a different environment. I think Fred Bleasdale was Head when Colin first started there.

One of them (Mr. Bennison - Chemistry) was still there. Colin tells the story that, while in Chemistry Class, Bennison (acting Head) excused himself to take care of an administrative problem. A female teacher who taught English (Miss Dougherty) had identified a scheduling problem. In VUO's absence "Benny" went to take care of it. He announced to the class that he was "going to help Miss Dougherty with a problem with her periods".

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
11-Feb-2012, 11:32 AM

Belated welcome to the forum Chris.
11-Feb-2012, 11:46 AM

quote:

Originally posted by anacortesdamp

Chris:

When I was at BGS, Victor Oldland was the headmaster. I think Fred Bleasdale took over a year or so after I left.

"Old Vic" and I had a rather heated exchange after the assembly at the start of the year I went into 6th form. I had been very specific about the subjects I wanted to take (pure maths, applied maths and physics) and the carreer I intended to pursue (engineering). In the assembly where they read out the classes you're assigned, I was surprised to find I had been placed in English, French and Latin. I was particularly puzzled because I'd failed O-level Latin.

I was in Miss Moss's office within seconds of the end of assembly and I was ushered into "Old Vic's" sanctum. I was irate and less polite/subservient than the acceptable attitude, and may even have used words unsuited to the politically important location. It turned out that various teachers had identified a knack for languages. They were right, but I was set on being an engineer. They had (correctly) recognised that I failed Latin at O-level deliberately to concentrate on other subjects and thought I would make a good foreign language interpreter/translator.

After my altecation with VUO, I was quickly reassigned to the courses I had signed up for, but, to my chagrin, my two mathematics classes were to be taught by Mr. Wilkinson. My first end-of-term report said that I was "too dense to understand the concepts of mathematics and should seek an alternative career path".

I quit Balshaw's in April of that year and went to English Electric as a Student Apprentice. In my first year at Blackpool Tech, I scored a 100% in the maths exam! So much for being "too dense". Maybe Wlikie's attitude towards me was really because I wasn't a girl!!

I won a Technical State Scholarship and ended up with a Dipl.Tech.(Mech) from the Royal Colletge of Advanced Technology - Salford, which got translated into a B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Salford. (shame really, as the Dipl. Tech. would have been equated to a Master's Degree by Boeing. The change cost me $600 a year in starting salary!).

Bottom line, I doubt I got anything out of going to Balshaw's that I couldn't have got from the Secondary Modern or going to Harris Tech. Balswhaw's was (and maybe still is) an elitist school with an abhorrence of anyone seeking college appointments anywhere other than in the "Classical" universities and going on to be Greek or Latin teachers in similarly hide-bound excuses for schools.

I hated every minute I was incarcerated in that place and I would be overjoyed to see it burn to the ground, even now. Needless to say, I haven't been involved in any of the "Old Boys" things (a bit difficult from 4,000 miles away).

Many of the teachers when I was there were over 70 years old. Some had even taught my Dad when the school was on Golden Hill! When my brother, who was 8 years younger, went through, almost all those old dodderers had gone and it was a different environment. I think Fred Bleasdale was Head when Colin first started there.

One of them (Mr. Bennison - Chemistry) was still there. Colin tells the story that, while in Chemistry Class, Bennison (acting Head) excused himself to take care of an administrative problem. A female teacher who taught English (Miss Dougherty) had identified a scheduling problem. In VUO's absence "Benny" went to take care of it. He announced to the class that he was "going to help Miss Dougherty with a problem with her periods".

Frank

11-Feb-2012, 12:02 PM

quote:

Originally posted by noel

Thanks Noel. Have really enjoyed looking through all the posts and have recalled many things that I Hadn't thought about in years.
11-Feb-2012, 12:05 PM

quote:

Originally posted by noel

Thought the statement by the chemistry teacher was brilliant. You could just imagine him flouncing out with his mortar board and gown. SUPERB !!!
11-Feb-2012, 12:08 PM

quote:

Originally posted by Jellybaby

Yes thats right, you would have been in the year above me. I was ther 66 to 70 and had Mrs Jeptha, Miss Rawlinson, Mr Young and Miss Wayne. For the 4th year trip we went to Torquay. I remember with great affection Mr Grey the caretaker and Mrs Deacon a dinner lady.

Check this out. I revisit regularly.... http://www.woodlea.lancsngfl.ac.uk/index...egory_id=7

I've found 2 of my class photos on there and maybe a third but I'm having trouble convincing myself its the right one
Could you please tell me how to access thee Woodlea photo gallery . I have tried but always have been told that I need a password and to contact them for further information.

11-Feb-2012, 12:10 PM

quote:

Originally posted by yhawkins

I went to the Isle of Man in my 4th year.

I too went to tThe Isle of Man in my 4th year. I can remember climbing Bradda Head twice during the week. We stayed in Port Erin. 1972