Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fox Lane School - with photo
16-Dec-2012, 09:13 PM

Browsing the comments here bring back many memories. I attended Woodlea from 1961 - 1965, then on to Balshaws until 1972. However I am most interested in the post from Lynne dated 31 March 2008 as we appear to share a great great grandfather, Richard Swarbrick, of Heald House. Lynne, if you pick this up I would be most interested to hear from you especially regarding through whom you are descended. When I started researching the Swarbrick family tree some years ago, I was quickly copied in to all the work that had been done by a branch of the family in western Canada of whom I was unaware. However not all the branches of the tree are complete. I myself am descended through the Daniel Swarbrick whom you mention, through his second daughter Helen who sadly died before I was born. I would love to hear from you and think you can e-mail via this site.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
17-Dec-2012, 03:11 AM

Frank,
Close, Mrs. Jeptha's maiden name was Palmer. It was her sister who lived at Heald House, Mrs Donkin [obviously nee Palmer].
I learned to ride a motorbike on the driveway, short though it was. It was an ex W/D Matchless 350.
John
17-Dec-2012, 08:23 PM

quote:

Originally posted by Lynne

Don't know any of these names, John.Was born in Leyland but spent most of my time in and around Bamber Bridge and Preston.
However you mention 'Heald House' and your friend Bill Donkin.
I discovered recently after doing some family history that my great- great grandfather retired from farming in Lydiate Lane area and lived in Heald House.
His son lived there later -till what date I am not sure not having my notes with me -early 1920's maybe. Their surname was Swarbrick.
I have an old picture of the house which I believe is still used for business purposes.
Seems it was dated to Queen Anne's time and is quite historic.
One of the family was Daniel Swarbrick who I understand had a grocer's shop somewhere near The Cross.
Do you remember much about the house itself.
Cheers
[8D]

18-Dec-2012, 04:43 AM

David,
Try this:
http://www.leylandhistoricalsociety.co.u...s%2006.htm

The Leyland Historical Society has an excellent web site, well worth rooting through.
John
18-Dec-2012, 05:22 AM

One of my best friends while I was at BGS was Robert Swarbrick. Whether they were related to the Heald House Swarbricks, I don't know. It's not a name that you encounter frequently. but perhaps more often than mine!

His dad was a mechanic (I think - maybe the maintenance supervisor) at the British Road Services depot just east of the Earnshaw Bridge crossroads on Golden Hill Lane. The family lived in a bungalow that, I think belonged to BRS, since it was immediately alongside the depot.

I've heard fom Bob once on the forum and I think he ended up in the Lancashire Constabulary. He'd be around 70 now, like me.

We were motor racing enthusiasts, and Bob's older brother set up a trip to the British Grand Prix at Silverstone, I think this was in 1955? He drove the family Standard 14 with (I think) five of us aboard. We went down the evening before the race, getting there a couple of hours before the start. We headed home after it was over. For a 14 year-old it was a staggering experience that I still remeber vividly after all these years.

The Italian drivers were the tops, along with the Argentinian, Froilan Gonzales. I can't remember who won, but I think it was Alberto Ascari. I remeber one of the fancied drivers, maybe Juan Fangio, having his engine blow up. Memories that far back are less than clear!

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.