Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
LOSTOCK HALL ENGINE SHED 1882 - 1968
15-Nov-2011, 08:43 AM

An item of information that is short and sweet .... for I really am totally lost for words!

I have just heard through the grapevine that, following months of inviting the views of all interested parties specifically to consider what might be the most appropriate ways to mark the very great historical importance of the former steam locomotive engine shed site in Lostock Hall (the last one of all to close), the eminently informed and so highly-qualified Council team involved appear to have come up with their 'ideal solution' .....

Wait for it ...... it's a cracker ........

The chosen memorial for the shed site is to be a huge stone sculpture in the form of ......

a leaf!

http://www.LostockHallMPD.org.uk
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
15-Nov-2011, 11:29 AM

I think your barking up the wrong tree!!!

PeterG
15-Nov-2011, 11:45 AM

I feel sure that all readers of this forum who really are concerned about what is planned for their village really would appreciate learning precisely WHY you consider that I am "barking up the wrong tree". Kindly elaborate .... or, alternatively, if your words are merely a rather lame and pathetic attempt at humour, just shut up!

15-Nov-2011, 10:15 PM

Despite the misplaced humour regarding such a serious issue, it would now appear that matters are not quite so bad as were first thought.

A colleague has been in touch with South Ribble Council who confirm that that the 'big leaf' proposal is not of their volition, and is actually the idea of the church who owns the land that was once the goods yard and sorting sidings - on the opposite side of Watkin lane to the old loco shed site.

That party also plan to install both a 'peace garden' and also a BMX bike track and work is expected to commence on these in the fairly near future.

Currently, there is no news about the old shed area itself. If anyone does hear any more, please do place it on the Lostock Hall Shed Website forum.

12-Mar-2016, 12:08 PM
RE: LOSTOCK HALL ENGINE SHED 1882 - 1968
I'm new to this board and was wondering if any of the Lostock Hall MPD people had connections or recollections of these former engine drivers;

Bill Allison who retired from this depot during the mid 1960's after working there all his life.

The others were a distant relations of mine; Thomas Haydock who died at the age of 53 in 1926 and William Southworth who died at the age of 63 in 1909. Both these men lived in the Lostock Hall/Tardy Gate area.

Any information or connections with these families will be gratefully received.

Bill Allison friended me as a teenager just prior to his retirement and I have many happy memories of our times together and regret not keeping in touch once I started work.
13-Mar-2016, 04:08 PM
We moved away from the area, first to the Midlands in 1965, then to Washington State in 1968, so my recollections of Lostock Hall MPD are a bit vague, even though I was a spotter for quite a while. Was it ever used as a diesel MPD or did it close at the end of the steam era?

Frank D
14-Mar-2016, 07:34 PM
(13-Mar-2016 04:08 PM)anacortesdamp Wrote:  We moved away from the area, first to the Midlands in 1965, then to Washington State in 1968, so my recollections of Lostock Hall MPD are a bit vague, even though I was a spotter for quite a while. Was it ever used as a diesel MPD or did it close at the end of the steam era?

Frank D

Hello Frank,

I'm fairly sure it moved on to be a diesel depot and then a Permanent Way depot before laying empty for some time and eventually demolished.
18-Aug-2016, 07:00 PM
(20-Oct-2010 09:29 PM)garn1943 Wrote:  Hello Lynne,
Yes up till the end of steam you started as a cleaner then passed cleaner which meant you could fire an engine but only on local trip or shunt jobs then after so many firing turns you became a fireman.Richard.
Hi Richard, slight correction, I started as a cleaner at the age of 17 in the early 60's.
At first it's true that you only went out on shunts or local goods as a passed cleaner, however before long we, as passed cleaners, were working the main line both on goods and passenger trains.
For example, I fired the football express in 1964 from Crewe, ( where we relieved the men from a southern shed), to Preston, the last time Preston North End were at Wembley.
I also took and passed my Main Line firing exam as a passed cleaner.
Once you got so many firing turns in, or moved to another shed, you became a fully fledged fireman. Peter