Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Quietest places you have ever been.
06-Jul-2010, 03:47 PM

I am very grateful that Boeing sent me on a business trip to Egypt, otherwise I might have spent my own money to go. Once is more than enough and I don't plan to ever go again.

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-Jul-2010, 05:11 AM

We had a perfect cruise- no problems at all with stomach bugs. It was actually only a 3 star boat but we had great food and entertainment and excellent guides to show us the fantastic temples everywhere. It really is awesome. Can't remember the name of the cruise company but there are loads and I would think all fairly good. Its a holiday I would wholeheartedly reccommend. I haven't been to Cairo and that is maybe why Frank didn't like Egypt. The Nile and its temples are the places to visit. re-reading your post-yes there are beggars but mainly children off loading postcards and trivia- no real hassle. I thought.
07-Jul-2010, 10:32 AM

Preston Cemetery's pretty peaceful...!
07-Jul-2010, 10:42 AM

Some people like to look at Pyramids and other ancient artifacts whilst others prefer to look at Smoke/steam billowing from a near by refinery which blows up now and again ! Each to their own I guess [8D]
07-Jul-2010, 10:43 AM

quote:

Originally posted by dottymapley

Not at night it aint !! Vandals and drug addicts roam free throughout the night !!
07-Jul-2010, 11:23 AM

Quietest spots -many from way back when life was less hectic ,like walking through a meadow with only the whisper of the grass and wild flowers, but three from more recent times.
First The Hermitage-Aoraki Mt Cook -South Island New Zealand.
Sir Ed Hillary's statue in climbing gear looks out at the three peaks where he perfected his climbing skills.
At night the tiny chalets are overlooked by the snow- capped mountain peaks so close and so peaceful and the sky is a mass of bright stars.
A real place for thought and wonder.

Second The Beguinage in Bruges behind the Minnewater.
A secluded retreat established nearly 800 years ago as a place of sanctuary for women needing protection. The Beguine nuns still live there amonst the old white buildings, tall trees and small church. Visitors who wander through the area are asked to be especially quiet-magical when the daffodils carpet the grass.

Third more close to home -in Sheffield the Cathedral is not surrounded by so much greenery as others but it is amazing to walk straight off the street with the noise of traffic ,people and the trams close by to go through the doors into such a welcome silence.
07-Jul-2010, 03:55 PM

Yes, Sandy, I did only get to Cairo. We got an afternoon to visit the Sphinx and the nearby pyramids and I got to the national Museum. The begging children were a major hassle everywhere and the traffic and noise were unbearable.

Deinitly not my favorite place in the world. Fortunately, our motorhome would have problems getting there! One of my fellow Boeing workeres is a native of Alexandria and he says even people in Alexandria don't go to Cairo if they can avoid it.

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
07-Jul-2010, 10:35 PM

quote:

Originally posted by filmoss

quote:

Not at night it aint !! Vandals and drug addicts roam free throughout the night !!

I'll take your word for it, Phil, I never get around that area at night!!
08-Jul-2010, 12:53 AM

quote:

quote:

[i]Originally posted by filmoss

quote:

Originally posted by dottymapley[/i]

I'll take your word for it, Phil, I never get around that area at night!!

Neither do I Dot but its always in the Evening Post about vandals and drugs !
08-Jul-2010, 06:45 AM

Well then Frank. that is why I reccommend the Nile and a cruise which is definitely quiet and relaxing. you become so laid back as you cruise along that i think you become becalmed and don't worry too much about the kids who want you to buy things onshore.