Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Facelift Approval for Leyland Town Centre
A mojor town centre revamp has been agreed which will see the re-establishment of a landmark gateway and new shop fronts.

A £205,000 plan to transform the centre of Leyland will see the creation of a ‘gateway’ to the market with the re-establishment of traditional gates on Northcote Street, shop front improvements and pedestrianisation of Balfour Street and Northcote Street, at the junction with Hough Lane.

South Ribble Borough Council approved the plans this week, which follows a £100,000 improvement on Churchill Way and the Leyland Clock, which was already passed.

Speaking at the meeting Coun Phil Smith, cabinet member for regeneration, leisure and healthy communities, said: “This prudent and well-run council is in a position to invest in the future.

“The £100,000 which was invested in Churchill Way and the £205,000 is the first phase which means we will be able to develop into the future.”

Coun Smith said parts of the plan had only been thrashed out in the past couple of weeks.

[center]Lancashire Evening Post article[/center]
Martin ~
with limited funds I think the council have done OK recently improving the town. I look forward to seeing the latest ideas come to fruition.
Whilst I`m fully in favour of any plans that improve the looks and amenities of our town, I`m not sure that the purchase of some (no doubt - expensive) iron gates is the best idea, in this belt tightening period.
Jim
How much !!!! What a waste of money !! The blatant use of tax payers money on such a complete waste of space is unbelievable !Where do these people get their figures ?? These figures are disgusting and someone somewhere is coining in on this !! Stuff like this really gets me going look at the figures and then look at the work done for the said figures......b-----ks This surely is an outrage is it not ? If anyone on here believes that it costs that much to do those things stated then they need to get a serious grip on things !! I am astounded ! [:0]
Plans to pedestrianise part of Leyland town centre and revitalise its shopping area are set to be given the go-ahead.

The Leyland Gates scheme, which will see the development of a set of ornate gates at one of the town’s most historic sites, will be debated by planning councillors next week.

The spectacular feature will sit on the corner of Hough Lane and Northcote Street, at the entrance to the former Leyland Motors North Works.

It will also feature a bronze-coloured statue of a Leyland Motors worker heading out of the base site.

Lancashire Evening Post
Martin ~
Will this grandiose scheme improve Leyland I walk thro the centre most days and don't find much to inspire me and to pedestrianise the area round Hough lane will I am sure cause nothing but traffic problems and I cannot forsee it bringing anymore outsiders into the town to shop.
A new centrepiece to be built at a historic gateway in Leyland town centre must spark further regeneration of the area, local councillors have said.

The planning committee on South Ribble Council has given the green light for work to start on building a spectacular new gateway at the entrance to the former Leyland Motors North Works in the town.

It will see metal gates and a bronze statue of a factory worker go up on the at the junction of Hough Lane and Northcote Street.

Committee member Coun Mary Green, who represents the Leyland Central ward on the authority, said she wanted to see the project kick-start the stalled regeneration of the town centre.

She said: “It has been on cards for a long time and now it looks like it is starting to happen now and these gateways could not be more in tune with Leyland.

Lancashire Evening Post
Martin ~
What are they knocking up at the roundabout carpark ? Any ideas ? Looks like some sort of water feature but I could be wrong !
It doesnt look like a water feature now ! It appears to be a steel towerlike structure ???
I notice a large gear wheel has appeared at the other side of the roundabout at the corner of East St.