Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Facelift Approval for Leyland Town Centre
quote:

Originally posted by mushypea

I think you need to open your eyes Bill.

There's more trees this year than ever - loads of shops have them up and the main tree was put at URC and the roundabout was lit up - you must have sunglasses on!

You need to get behind your town rather than keep pulling it down. The work thats been done is a good thing - perhaps better to just keep moaning ?

As a local shop keeper - i have to say its a good thing and much better for the town.

For a start, I didn't say there were no trees, I didn't say there wasn't one at the URC. I said there wasn't one at the roundabout-there isn't! (maybe you need to open your eyes mushy and read my post properly [Smile]) And I stand by my opinion that the clock should be on the roundabout. So the 'improvements' are a good thing? I'm glad to hear it. I would be interested though, to learn how much your trade has increased since these 'improvements'.
I've been told the clock was only on the roundabout for the last 15 years.
I don't know its original position but it has moved before.
It was ok on the roundabout but it got a bit lost in all the greenery - its better where it is now

Trades ok - not fantastic but not too bad either
Hopefully 2011 will be better
I must admit I couldn't see the point of moving the clock, but £100k, are you sure about that?
Trade would be better in Leyland if the car parks were free, but then of course there would be cars parked all day, defeating the object.
The money would have been better used on the decaying roads ! Haigh Ave for one is in a right mess with pot holes !
No the money is best spent on the town center - it will make Leyland more prosperous and in turn Haigh Av gets a better chance of getting sorted - i reckon things are looking up for a change
I always think clocks are a 'waste of time' in public places. Remember the parish church clock it was broke for years and nobody cared, who will maintain the Leyland clock when it does go clunk, and change the time twice every year? everybody has a watch these days!
Perhaps a statue of a famous Leylander would have been a better plan.
quote:

Originally posted by mick

I always think clocks are a 'waste of time' in public places. Remember the parish church clock it was broke for years and nobody cared, who will maintain the Leyland clock when it does go clunk, and change the time twice every year? everybody has a watch these days!
Perhaps a statue of a famous Leylander would have been a better plan.

Not sure about everyone having a watch Mick but the majority have a mobile phone on them. Leyland is a bit of a one horse town when it comes to local shopping. We have the supermarkets but as for shops and market its just one street ! Chorley is better for wandering round for shopping and Chorley isn't really any bigger than Leyland is it !! In my view a clock being moved and a bit of block paving hardly constitutes a " Face lift " !!
I wish some of you wouldn't be so miserable abuot everything. If you don't love our town - move don't moan.
Its good to see work happening. Its good to hear the other shop keepers like myself feeling better about things.
The Council gave us a newsletter that there's a loyal to leyland card starting - thats good too.
Let's be loyal to our town - & cheer up
quote:

Originally posted by mushypea

I wish some of you wouldn't be so miserable abuot everything. If you don't love our town - move don't moan.
Its good to see work happening. Its good to hear the other shop keepers like myself feeling better about things.
The Council gave us a newsletter that there's a loyal to leyland card starting - thats good too.
Let's be loyal to our town - & cheer up

As a shop owner I am genuinely pleased for you. The changes will be a breath of fresh air to you ! I dont really use the shops down there and so I guess I shouldn't call the changes ! The new pub will get used though ! [Big Grin] I thought that Hough Lane was going to be pedestrianised ? That would be better and create a sort of shopping centre feel to it, that would free up a lot of space for new outlets would it not ?
I think the town centre needs this. I feel guilty about not using the local shops but that's what supermarkets and pay to park have done to us.