Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Facelift Approval for Leyland Town Centre
The c;ock was originally one of six in different places. I think the one in town used to be just before you reached what is now the big roundabout at the entrance to Lostock Hall as you're coming down from Leyland. That used to be a simple T-juction with the main Leyland to Preston road going into Lostock Hall over the river.

I think there was nother on on the A6 going into Lancaster, one at the top of Shap Summit and one somewhere on the A1. I'm going completely from not-very-reliable memory here.

Frank
Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
You are right with the Lostock Hall site, Frank ...
I can't remember the others ... I will ask my
Lancaster and Morecombe schoolfriends when we meet
at our luncheon reunion in April.
T. D.
I realise tesco and co are tough tough competition but still people shop with us because we offer something different. Leyland has free parking, some great shops, a good market and personality - thank you if you shop local and if you don't - please try us - i thin k you'll be pleasantly surpsied.

As for the clock - its been about abit during its history - but its better where it is now because it can be seen more easily - it was good on the roundabout but its ewen better now.
Reunion for Leyland Workers
Hough Lane 22nd March 2011 at 11:00am

As part of the Hough Lane facelift, South Ribble's Regeneration Manager Howerd Booth is organising a reunion party for people who worked in the Leyland factories around the town and he would particularly like to see any ex North Works people.

Howerd said
"All the regeneration has been designed around our heritage and our heritage is all about our people."

"We've just put an arch in with the lozenge Leyland Motors sign, that used to be on the gable end wall on Northcote St, except we've changed Motors to Market. We've recreated the 'gates' as far as we possibily could and we've taken a man from a very old picture of the works and had him brought back to life as a bronze. Leyland is very very much a town of global heritage - everyone in the world seems to know of Leyland - so thats a massive plus. I'm just trying to bring back that pride, albeit small piece by piece."

Put the date in your diary and pop down to Hough Lane on the 22nd March. Everyone is welcome.
Martin ~
A second phase in the make-over was revealed yesterday with the unveiling of a bronze statue of a Leyland Motors worker at the newly-installed North Works gates on Hough Lane.

The monument was inspired by an unknown worker featured in an iconic black and white photo of the North Works plant, taken in 1929 when the factory was a leading employer.

Other elements to the regeneration scheme completed have included the restoration of the Leyland clock on Churchill Way, the siting of a Leyland-built Centurion tank off Flensburg Way and new benches, flower boxes and street lighting in Hough Lane.

Coun Phil Smith, cabinet member with responsibility for regeneration, leisure and healthy communities at South Ribble Council, said: “I am over the moon another piece of the Leyland regeneration jigsaw is in place.

“We are proud of our commitment to improving the town centre. The statue is building on Leyland’s heritage.”

Ex-Leyland Motors workers gathered to see the statue unveiled yesterday.

Keith Walmsley, who worked for the firm for 17 years and lives in Farington, said: “There was a lot of dedicated workers at Leyland Motors and it’s nice to see them celebrated.

“Young people in Leyland don’t realise what a big organisation it was.

“I’m proud to have been a part of it. I went on holiday to Cyprus and they still have Leyland buses and think they are wonderful.”

Neil Frodsham, 68, who worked at Leyland Motors for 35 years, said: “The area around the market should be fully pedestrianised and the statue could do with something telling people what it represents. But it’s a nice statue.” The improvements were mostly paid for with cash from developers behind a number of planning applications in Leyland.

[Image: 2056250568.jpg]
Mmmm.. I imagined it to be a bit more dynamic, you know, someone actively working hard, like in the foundry.
Having said that, I realised there's already one of a foundry worker... someone running to Parkinson's pie shop, perhaps?!
The clock is one of the shoddiest pieces of workmanship I have come across in a long while ! Re the latest statue, at least the do good brigade didn't prevent the fella having a pipe !! [8D]
How long before his pipe gets sawn off ?
It's taken from a 1929, or was it '49 photograph of workers leaving North Works. The man with the pipe is on the original photo. I went past the area this afternoon. The entry to the market looks very smart now. Two stone columns support the metal gates with the words "NORTH" and "WORKS" etched into them.