Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Leyland's Industrial Past
15-Aug-2010, 11:21 PM
Leyland's Industrial Past
Hi All

Following on from my previous post, the Society is looking to organise an oral history of the many works in Leyland and are looking for ex employees to interview.

If you can help, be it Leyland Motors, L & B, BTR, Leyland Paints, Bleach Works or any other, please let me know

Many thanks
Peter
Chairman, Leyland Historical Society
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
16-Aug-2010, 01:10 PM

I'm not sure what depth of knowledge you're looking for Peter but I worked at BTR from '64 on the new plant on Centurion Way that's just been demolished. If that's any use I'd be happy to help.
16-Aug-2010, 06:21 PM

I worked in the Hose shop at the BTR plaqnt in Golden Hill Lane for a short time inm eaqrly 1939 if I can help let me know.
16-Aug-2010, 09:27 PM

Thanks Noel and Dan

Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.

I am currently working on a questionaire but to start with a plan of the two factory premises would be a great help

Many thanks

Peter
17-Aug-2010, 09:06 AM

William as well should have expert knowledge of Leyland Motors, and in particular Spurrier Works.
17-Aug-2010, 09:24 AM

How detailed a plan Peter? I did have driends who worked in the Drawing Office years ago. Whether they've kept anything detailed, or in fact are still around, otherwise it'll be from memory I'm afraid.
17-Aug-2010, 10:05 PM

Hi Noel

A simple plan showing what shops, offices were where will do to start with, especially of the golden hill works

Peter
18-Aug-2010, 03:44 AM

Peter:

The family business (George Damp & Sons) on Towngate was a small engineering shop that made pipe clamps for BTR. It was a very small shop (4 people, I think). I remember going with my Dad to deliver batches of clamps in our Vauxhall 14 van, which our body shop had built from a burned out saloon car.

Would this kind of small "jobbing" shop be of interest? Since all the participants are long gone, I'm not sure how much information I could dig up.

Frank Damp

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
18-Aug-2010, 12:13 PM

OK Peter I'll try to remember as best I can though the Farington site is a lot easier to recall as Leyland was quite condensed with a narrow yard and the various work shops feeding off it. I didn't for example realise there was a hose shop, hopefully between Dan and myself and if there's anyone else, who can input ( did you deliver to the Golden Hill site Frank?) we can come up with a reasonable attempt.
18-Aug-2010, 12:42 PM

Further to my imput of the old BTR site, Not only were hosepipes made there but Idustrial Belting and Tyres. The Main Entrance was on Golden Hill Lane but there was an access to the street that was opposite the General Post Office on Hough Lane (Old age has dulled the memory a little I cant remember the name of the street) At that time there was a small Printing firm called MOLD, this was sited next to the General Post Office. I am raking matters up very slowely.