Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Leyland's Industrial Past
18-Aug-2010, 04:13 PM

Noel:

Yes. we delivered to the Golden Hill site. As I remember there was a side entrance on Wheelton Lane, maybe 60 yards or so from the intersection with Golden Hill. I understand that the large pipeline that carried aviation fuel across the Channel to support RAF operations in France later in WW2 (called PLUTO - Pipe Line Under The Ocean) was made there and had some of our clips on it.

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
18-Aug-2010, 05:16 PM

There was a program on TV recently re PLUTO Frank, an essential pipeline to feed army vehicles, an incredible achievement considering. Dan I worked as a technical person for some time in the belt shop so I have memories of the press and belt building area. I also remember mixing dept. on the right hand side half way down, calenders right at the bottom. Deicers and tubeseal was after the belt shop on the left. Top Unit for PVC belting was at the top of the yard ( by definition) as was the lab, tyres had stopped being made there when I started but I remember seeing the vulcanisers that were built into the ground and I was told had become unsafe, hence the license being withdrawn. If I try to come up with a crude drawing can others critique it please and amend? Large bore hose started there in the late sixties on the land to the west of the factory where a few shelters nick-named "blisters" were sited.I'm not sure if the back entry was Quin Street, or was it Herbert Street?. I'll make enquiries. Don't forget Iddon Bros. who are still sited at the back of where BTR used to be and supplied presses and mills to BTR.
18-Aug-2010, 05:46 PM

Noel, the reason I know of the back entrance to the old BTR is due to the fact that an old pal of mine Bill Daggers used to work in the Post Dept of BTR and had to go to the General post Office on Hough Lane with a leather bag containing the mail. What memories we are digging up.
18-Aug-2010, 05:58 PM

Bill Daggers used to be caretaker at Farington School Dan when I were a lad, I wonder if it's the same one? Dedrah will remember him, mid 1950s.
18-Aug-2010, 06:04 PM

By the way Dan, this is a crude attempt to remember the old site. I've deliberately left it vague because I am vague. I remember a coal heap, wasn't it to the north of the works behind Top Unit, in which case the boilers must have been around there. I haven't a clue where the hose shop was though some departments had an upstairs as well. I'm beginning to remember where belt planning was. I've not put the blister area on yet as my sheet of paper wasn't big enough, can you recall where hose was also those holes where the tyres were cured?? Aplogies for the drawing, I don't have any drawing skills at all but maybe when we get more detail on someone on the forum can finalise it.
[Image: btrleyland1001.jpg]
18-Aug-2010, 09:35 PM

Hi Noel and the rest

This is great, the one thing i can remember from my walks to school up the unmade Churchill Way in the mid sixties was the line of buildings along Golden Hill Lane.
Perhaps someone can name them all, so from Churchill Way there was
1. Large building with i think a chimney which had a turning circle in front of it
2. A brick building with blanked out windows
3. The lane through the factory
4. Wooden huts which always seemed to be issuing smoke
5. A gate with a weighbridge behind
6. Two houses converted to offices
7. A semi circlar metal roofed building

I'd love to know what they were all for

Many thanks

Peter
19-Aug-2010, 12:52 AM

Noel. As I remember from the Golden Hill entrance on the left as you went down the yard were the Offices, then I think was the Red cross room then the Hose shop followed by the Belt shop and the Tyre place was at the bottom right. The Canteen was siuated behind the Belt shop. I cant remember what was on the top right hand side of the yard.
19-Aug-2010, 10:03 AM

Thanks Dan, I'll have another rejig. The top right of the yard was warehouse as drawn, my father in law worked in there. Through the warehouse at the back was large bore hose the two "blister buildings" and waste land as I recall. I never saw the canteen. The chimney I remember being blown up, a few of the bricks just missed us as we stood on the corner by the gas works so the boiler must have been towards the back of the hose shop ???
19-Aug-2010, 10:07 AM

I think the seni circular building was what I termed the blister building Peter, I thought there were two but maybe I'm wrong. Used for storeage while I was there. The chimney, was that the factory chimney that was blown up in the early seventies?
19-Aug-2010, 10:23 AM

Farington Mill, As I travelled up the M6 after passing the Charnock Richards Service station we used to spot the faqruington Mill Chimney. I remember in 1938 the Steeplew jacks working on this enormous stack. If I remember right it was demolished by Joe Roocroft