Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Leyland's Industrial Past
20-Aug-2010, 06:20 PM

There's a photo here about PLUTO Jim.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/pi...tml/6.stmI wish I could recall which channel it was shown on, it could even have been the one show, it was certainly this week or end of last at the very earliest. And it showed the tugs carrying the pipeline across the channel. I think it was Frank who said that Damps supplied the clips to the BTR site. But I'm not aware if BTR had any input to it, it's a bit before my time. I'll try to recall. if you smell burning it's me thinking.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
20-Aug-2010, 07:20 PM

Hi Noel

Great plan, love the detail.

I have put an aerial photograph of the factory on the Historical Society website at the following address

http://www.leylandhistoricalsociety.co.u...0views.htm

Many thanks
Peter
20-Aug-2010, 07:52 PM

Peter,`What a hornets nest you have disturbed something else an 85yr old can remember, During the War Gasmasks were made at the L&B my future wife worked as a Service girl in the Mask Shop before she took up weaving at Pilkingtons and they were also in a factory I think in Hall Lane called I think Baxters, I know my mother worked there in 1938. On the outbeak of War we were all issued with a mask, they distributed them from Farington Conservative Club.
20-Aug-2010, 08:18 PM

for some reason the Hall Lane factory was known as Baxters Diolene - why was that?
20-Aug-2010, 08:35 PM

quote:

Originally posted by Peter119

Hi Noel

Great plan, love the detail.

I have put an aerial photograph of the factory on the Historical Society website at the following address

http://www.leylandhistoricalsociety.co.u...0views.htm

Many thanks
Peter

I have to thank my former colleague Henry Fitzell (now in Oz0 for that Peter

The 2 buildings on the top right hand of the old photo are what was called the blister buildings. Superb photo by the way.
I've never heard of the Diolene name William but I will ask. Baxters by the way was incorporated into L&B, my uncle was foreman in the department. Face masks as they became called were still in production in 2002 when the place closed, and were transferred to Phoenix Medical, the company set up out of the ashes of L&B and doomed to failure 5 years later over £4 million in debt.
20-Aug-2010, 08:35 PM

Peter - Along stab from too far away - did Leylands have a collection of ex-service wooden housing buildings outside South Works in early 1920`s. My father left the Royal Flying Corps in 1919 and came via Rolls Royce Derby to work in the Experimental Workshop on the top floor in Thurstan Road, for Parry Thomas. He may have lived in the huts until moving to Meadow Street, and later to Clayton le Woods. No-one has an answer.
20-Aug-2010, 10:42 PM

Hi William

Look in the bottom left corner of the first photograph on this page, it looks like these were the wooden huts.

http://www.leylandhistoricalsociety.co.u...graphs.htm

Peter
21-Aug-2010, 10:54 AM

Interesting stuff everone but I'm confused.
Please clarify something.
The L&B on the corner of Wheelton Lane - was this part of or has ever been part of BTR?
I remember BTR across from it on Golden Hill- was this owned by a firm called Wood Milne at some time?
I seem to recall my Polish father-in-law saying he worked there for a while.It must have been after the war (sadly he's dead so I can't ask him).
21-Aug-2010, 11:37 AM

Hi Tony

They were seperate firms until the early 1980's when BTR took over the L & B

Peter
21-Aug-2010, 11:48 AM

The merger was actually earlier than that Peter, very early seventies. People from L&B always joked that L&B put the money up for the merger, though I'm not sure they were joking. That name Milne doesn't ring a bell Tonyl, the Golden Hill site was BF Goodrich owned in it's infancy and somehow, though I never understood, there was a link up with BF Goodrich even in the sixties and seventies.
The merger was in my view start of the end for L&B. They went from an autonomous friendly company owning the 37 acres it was built on, to part of a large conglomerate, forced to pay rental on it's land, a move which forced it do downsize in the mid nineties so that over half the site was then unoccupied, but no rental. Of course if they had remained a private company the spare land could have been sold to the company's benefit. But BTR Property Holdings had different ideas.