Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Leyland's Industrial Past
30-Nov-2011, 08:12 PM

I worked at BTR 61 to 64 in the engineering department under the fearsome rasser, aka Rasburn the foreman and Mr Knight the chief engineer, remembering the black shop and changing the banbery ring, a hateful job but required to maintain production and changing the press plattens at factory shutdown also maintaining the water softener and the pump house then moved to the new factory on centurion way, left at the onset of the infamouse continental shifts, 2 days 6 to 2 two days 2 to 10 two days 10 to 6, very unnatural and bad for health then went leylands, at least we could find work in those days, not so today sad to say.remembering Jack Hughes, Mr Snuff manager in the hose shop at the old factory and member of leyland fire brigade along with myself and Johnny Harris Peters father and Alec Ritchie postman and firefighter, all good men and hard workers, a credit to Leyland and Lancashire.

djh
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
01-Dec-2011, 12:26 PM

You left BTR the year I started Dave, Ray Knight was there for some time afterwards. Arthur Harrison was the mixing dept. manager.
28-Apr-2016, 11:54 AM
RE: Leyland's Industrial Past
Just listened to Peter Houghton on Wednesday's Leyland Festival Radio Breakfast being interviewed about L&B Rubber, etc - nice to hear some Lanky dialect again!

Jerry Threlfall
28-Apr-2016, 08:04 PM
(28-Apr-2016 11:54 AM)Jerryt Wrote:  Just listened to Peter Houghton on Wednesday's Leyland Festival Radio Breakfast being interviewed about L&B Rubber, etc - nice to hear some Lanky dialect again!

He did a presentation 2 weeks ago that I went to. Packed audience at the civic centre on the history of Leyland and Birmingham. Also found out why the streets around the area took up their names. Quin st. Herbert st. etc. If you go on Leyland historical site, the full history of L and B is on there. Sad to an ex-employee like me.
[+] 2 users say Thank You to noel for this post
29-Apr-2016, 09:57 AM
I did not know you worked at the the old L & B Noel,what did you do there, My Grandfather James Edward Nixon was the wages manager there way back in time, he was my mother Doris Nixon and my uncle Ron Nixon`s father.

djh
29-Apr-2016, 04:56 PM
Colin:

When Johnny Squiers did that bail-out, it ended his flying career. Nobody had bailed out at such high speed (about Mach 1.5, I think) before and the shock waves damaged his ears.

Frank
01-May-2016, 09:39 PM
(29-Apr-2016 09:57 AM)Dave H Wrote:  I did not know you worked at the the old L & B Noel,what did you do there, My Grandfather James Edward Nixon was the wages manager there way back in time, he was my mother Doris Nixon and my uncle Ron Nixon`s father.
No, Dave. I only joined in 1987. A lot of my Uncles worked there way before me. Harry, Les and Fred Watton to name a few. Les was probably the one most people recall . He was heavily involved in Leyland and Farington club on Derby St. I was at L and B from 87 to the end.
07-May-2016, 08:35 PM
My grandfather and Peter Houghtons grandfather were brothers and at sometime both worked for L&B, my grand father on my mothers side was a painter & decorator and worked at BTR before working for Ernie Cocker who had a shop next to Pickups furniture shop on Towngate. My father also worked at BTR in the 1950s in the hose shop. As an aprentice joiner my first on site job for A M Tomlinsons was also in the same hose shop fixing a bank of wooden lockers. I would go on to work in most of the other shops in the Golden Hill factory and a number of shops in L&B and Baxters. I was involved in the building of the new hose shop, extension to the belting shop and the new mixing shop at Centurion Way, I was loaned out to the maintance deptment to help the only joiner who was over run with work because of staff cut backs.
My younger brother Tony worked at L&B from 1969 untill it closed down, it was about this time I met my wife to be who also worked in the lab at L&B.

frank h.
10-May-2016, 06:21 PM
The working area of the site was shrunk dramatically about 10 years before closure. To save on ground rent paid to BTR properties, later Unipoly. The 4 story building overlooking fishwicks yard for example was shut down and the lab that was on top moved to the former fire station, building construction merged with the extrusion department.
11-May-2016, 05:30 AM
If you try British Gas. When I worked there the Ordnance Survey maps they kept marked up with the mains locations were very old and continued lots of detail of the old Leyland Infrastructure. Maybe they kept progressive electronic records of these old plans. The electricity and water companies kept their mains records in the same way on old ordnance survey maps using draughtsmen to draw the mains with pens.

Just an idea