Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum Newsfeeds
I have to disagree with that Frank. Twitter is based on connections between members, so the Leyland account is linked with people who share similar interests.

Sticking to the facts, I would like to point out that there is no increased risk of anyone on the forum becoming a victim of scammers, perverts and other undesirables as a result of a link being posted on Twitter or Facebook. There is also no increased risk to the security of the forum or it's members

We do get spammers and undesirables registering on the forum, but they do not come from Facebook or Twitter. Most come from Google and other sources but I'm not about to ban search engines from trawling the website.

If anyone knows of any threats or risks to the forum and it's members as a direct result of being linked to these sites I would like to hear what they are and will certainly take them into consideration, but I do not currently know of any known problems.
Martin ~
I think you are being a bit dramatic Frank, you post to a forum and have been doing for a long time, that information you post is indexed by Google and many other sites on the Internet. You are unhappy that a site called Twitter which you dont use has a selection of posts on it, these posts are almost only seen by people who actively follow Leyland Forum on Twitter, that means people who have expressed an interest in Leyland just like you have done by being on here, the only difference is that they choose to use Twitter to read the messages.

Maybe you should get to understand Twitter before using terms like scammers, perverts and undesirables. The people who follow the forum on Twitter are probably no different to yourself.

I think its the age old problem of people rebelling against something they dont understand or resisting change without understanding the change or how it benefits them.

If a pervert contacts you because of this Twitter link then dont worry, we will sort them out for you Big Grin
I repeat:

I do not want my posts to the Leyland forum to be distibuted by that forum to Facebook and Twitter. If the Leyland forum management cannot (or chose not to) disconnect the automatic posting of this forum to those two systems, I will remove myself from the Leyland Forum.

As a matter of interest, are you cross-posting the posts from the Snug Bar?

Frank
Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
Oh dear it would appear that Frank hasn't moved into the 21st century yet ! Martin you can explain until you are blue in the face and it wont make one blind bit of difference ! Obstinacy is such a bad trait ! This forum needs new members as any other forum does to survive and Facebook and Twitter just happen to be 2 of the biggest social networks around so I say well done and long live the Leyland Forum [8D]
I agree with filmoss, Frank seems to have a personal bee in his bonnet about sites that he doesnt use and doesnt understand. The forum has to move forward and I think Martin did a great job in linking this with Twitter to bring more people in here and remind people like myself that the forum exists. Over time the link will bring hundreds or thousands of new members in, and that has to be a good thing for the forum. Amongst that number will be some gems who will bring so much to the forum and help it capture more knowledge about Leyland and surrounding area.

I know of a club in Blackpool where one personlooked at it like Frank is looking at this forum, they wanted to keep to their little group of people, not advertise and not ruin what he called 'their party atmosphere', the end result was that they faded to obscurity because of one person and his views, when he retired from running it, someone else took over and it flourished again, albeit very slowly because it had been so run down.

I say we cant stop marketing this forum because one person wants it to be a closed shop.
Talk about mountains and molehills, I'm still mystified as to why there is a problem with the link to Twitter.

What you are seeing is a news feed from the forum which has been available for the past 8 years to anyone who wanted to use it.

As a demonstration I will make this part of the forum a members only area and you will see the result on the next update.

Anyone on the internet can access this link
http://forum.leylandtown.info/rssfeed2.asp
Martin ~
I too agree with filmoss if this gets more people interested, and varies the subjects then good on yer Martin long may the forum contine.
I use Facebook regularly and find it quite safe if used correctly I do get ribbed by some of my youger freinds but who cares, got to keep up with the technology, never too late for an old dog to learn new tricks
I guess we have a major difference of opinion about the characteristics of Facebook and Twitter, Martin. agree with Jim that the previous feeling of community among the members has been lost. I no longer wish to patcipate.

This will be my last posting and I will be removing my membership details from the member index shortly.
Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
If you now look at the twitter page you will see that only the public topics are showing.

This topic isn't showing because I've made it members only to demonstrate how flexible it is.

I also don't agree that the community spirit has been lost. That's a ridiculous statement to make and has no basis in reality.
Martin ~
Martin dont bow to peer pressure or threats. If you want this forum to survive in years to come you need to move with the times. I have no problem with all the subjects being out there ! to quote the words of a 15th century soothsayer ........
Around the world men's thoughts will fly
Quick as the twinkling of an eye.
And water shall great wonders do
How strange. And yet it shall come true.
The person who wrote that would more than likely burn at the stake for such talk !! [Wink]