Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forum Newsfeeds
"Suddenly there is no longer a feeling of a close knit community and that doesn`t sit comfortably with me."
I said that, because it is how I happen to feel on the subject. To say that it is a ridiculous statement to make, demeans you Martin. HOW do you know what people think and what gives you the right to put them down so easily?
Jim
I am sorry I caused such upset with this topic but I do have concerns about the web and how things are viewed by others. I do think I will be more reserved about my comments if I am aware that it is going to be viewed by a much larger group.
I am well aware of being brought into the 21st century that doesnt mean I like all aspects of it. Twitter and Facebook can be good but they can also bring alot of trouble with them. We shall just have to wait and see.
We have already lost quite a few posters on the forum because of some less than nice posting that have become more personal that they should. I hope this doesnt get worse in the future. Its not a case of wanting to keep it for the few but wanting to attract interesting people and those who enjoy talking about lancashire and general topics not wanting to post just to annoy others.
Avril, You have nothing to be sorry for. You quite rightly expressed your views on a subject , which you are fully entitled to do.
I share your concerns and will act accordingly.
Only time will tell if the forum benefits from increased membership and quality of content. I hope it does and I wish it well on that score.
Jim
I am with Frank, Jim and Avril on this one.
As a member of the Forum since its beginnings I used to feel till recently comfortable with the fact that it felt like a family where one could feel confident about expressing a view that was different and where one could feel empathy for some of the issues affecting other contributors as well as being on a steep learning curve about more serious topics.
Of course some links inevitably can be picked up on Google etc -as happens if one types in a certain topic but generally the Forum has until recently been a pleasant and welcome experience touching base with others on a number of issues both Leyland based and more wide-ranging.
This friendly community atmosphere to me was preferable to joining in one of the myriad of chat groups many of which turn me cold.
Twitter I think is an entirely different matter -and I do not wish to be part of that thank you.
I guess many would say no great loss but I agree that the community feel of the Forum is fast disappearing.
I apologise if I seem to be fuddy- duddy and out of step with the modern trend but good luck to the Forum anyway.
I will bow out.
This forum has had a news feed since it first went live back in 2002. I do not know how many other websites or people with newsreaders use this link but it has never been an issue before so I'm struggling to understand why it's an issue now.[b]I've asked Frank and anyone else who has concerns about the newsfeed to tell me what those concerns are and so far no-one has been able to give me a single reason why it's a bad thing. Not one fact about Twitter or facebook has been posted on here by those against it, instead there appear to be some wild, ill-informed assumptions, sweeping generalisations and innuendo throughout this topic.

Twitter and Facebook are recognised across the industry as tools to generate targeted
traffic to websites. They are used by large and small companies, charities, community websites[/b] and even the Government.

Number10Gov

South Ribble Council

Save the Children

There is nothing posted on Twitter that you won't be able to find on google or every other search engine.

So, I'll ask once again if anyone has any concerns that having a newsfeed and using using sites like twitter and Facebook is a bad thing, please try and give me some factual information to back those concerns up.

I'm perfectly willing to listen to people and debate the issue but I haven't been impressed with some of the demands made in this topic.
Martin ~
If the thoughts of loyal members who have contributed about 9,000 postings to this forum are deemed as being ridiculous, then so be it.
Jim
Jim, now you really are being unreasonable. I asked for factual information not emotional blackmail and exaggeration.
Martin ~
I have to go work in the garden Martin but when I come back in I will voice my concerns about twitter and facebook.
Thank you Avril. I will do my best to answer any queries or concerns you have about those sites.
Martin ~
I stand corrected on the charge of exaggeration. It was 8,000 and not 9,000. My last word on the subject.
Jim