Forum Newsfeeds
Oh Dear ... I always considered that ANYTHING that I
posted ANYWHERE on the internet was fair game .. and
wrote accordingly!!

My complaint is and always will be .... the rude and
foul mouthed people who consider the internet to be a
modern Tap Room.

I had hoped that these people with 'Pooh' sized brains
would be ignored at least or deleted at best!

T.D.
T. D.
P.S.

I'm not leaving but will continue to ignore the
Pooh Brains!
Life is too short to allow them to contaminate
or waste what is left of mine[Smile]

T.D.
T. D.
Martin and David you tried yeah ? You created this back in the day and I am afraid that the stalwarts are not going to conform ! Trust me if you want this baby to continue to grow then you MUST change with the times ! Like I said once over you would be institutionalised for being deaf ! Oh pray if someone was reading this now I would be struck down with an illness akin to cancer !! May the Lord bless my soul !! Martin you must have known that this day would come !! [Sad]
PS I cant believe some of the posts on this subject such naivety !
I see a lot of unjustified criticism and exaggeration about the dangers effects and people on sites like facebook, Twitter and virtual worlds in my rounds as a speaker on the subject. The comments are always from people who have never tried the service/site, they have biased opinions and they usually use extreme examples in order to justify their hatred for something they know nothing about.

The greatest scientific, business and technical minds are on twitter, if they are not good enough for you then I am afraid nobody is, its like complaining about the telephone because criminals have phones, you still use the phone, its the same with Twitter, its a medium to broadcast a message like the phone nothing more.

I dont want to go off topic in to reality but Martin, do you follow Astro_Wheels on Twitter, he is one of the astronauts in the space station, he chats with us and posts pictures each day, its really interesting to see what he puts out, he send pics of hurricanes and mystery pics of the earth so we can see if we can identify things ie. http://twitpic.com/2q4fiv
I'm back Martin. But before I ask some questions I have to say that comments by Filmoss and David are uncalled for. There is no need for either to go on the rampage about us not being in the 21st Century.I really dont care, naive or not I just want to be safe. There is no hatred for these sites I do find it vexing that many children spend their lives on these websites instead of interacting with friends in a regular
manner but thats just me being biased. So having said that here are my concerns.

Martin when I went to Facebook I found a list of people who like the Leyland website. Thats fine but what happens if some of those people are aggresive or just nasty another worry for some would be could that someone just from reading our post finds out where we live. After all some people posted pictures of their homes last year. When its a small audience you dont worry.
Please dont say that there are not people who would take advantage of that. I am knowledgeable enough (Filmoss) to know that when some people want to have a party they post it on Facebook. So why would someone not troll these sights for that type of thing. I am well aware of what Facebook and Twitter are and I have been to both sights but not as a member just visiting from other websites.

You are correct about doing a search and finding Leyland Forum but my concern was that people would find it much easier to get to the site just because it was more available and easier to get to.

If someone comes to the website do they have to become a member to get to read all our 'member' information. Email address etc. I know that it happens now but not with such a large audience.

I am not saying you shouldn't do it perhaps it helps with the running of this site and if it would bring in more good people perhaps that would be OK. But I still have concerns about someone reading one of our postings and taking offense at what was being discussed and then coming to the site and getting obnoxious. We all know how that can be.

I would dearly miss catching up with old friends on here and having a pleasant chat. I feel over the past few months we have lost quite a few members and I think that is due to attitudes of some posters. I am not sure it would be worth coming to the site if all the 'oldies' left.

I did see that Shelagh Watkins posts on I think Twitter and reads part of one of her books.
I too am like Karen and have always been wary of what I post on the internet. I do use facebook but have never tried twitter so can't comment on that but facebook used 'properly' is a good thing and I love it to keep up with all my distant relations ( distant in miles) as well as the younger generation of our family
Oh dear Filmoss-you really have missed your calling -that speech of yours was redolent with fire and brimstone.
Just remember that you do NOT know a great deal about those you call 'stalwarts' in such a patronising and nasty manner or their backgrounds or achievements in life.
They have their opinions and points of view which are as valid as yours.
I sincerely hope you are not struck down with cancer- rather a tactless comment.
Have a happy life.
Avril

I'll try and answer your points.

First of all, the facebook page has a link to the forum. The newsfeed doesn't work very well on that site so I've abandoned that for now.

Twitter does have a newsfeed from the forum.

Messages that are in hidden, member only access, moderator and administrator areas do not appear on the newsfeed.

I went to Facebook I found a list of people who like the Leyland website. Thats fine but what happens if some of those people are aggresive or just nasty?

There is no increased risk of you being abused as a result of someone finding the Leyland group on FaceBook. People on Facebook cannot post any messages to this forum unless they have registered here first. Once registered, they will be subject to the same rules as everyone else.

another worry for some would be could that someone just from reading our post finds out where we live. After all some people posted pictures of their homes last year.

As the forum messages are not on FaceBook, there is very little chance of that happeneing. I have warned people on here not to disclose personal information unless they don't mind sharing it with the world, so in that respect you should excercise the same amount of caution as when you first joined the forum.

When its a small audience you dont worry.
Please dont say that there are not people who would take advantage of that. I am knowledgeable enough (Filmoss) to know that when some people want to have a party they post it on Facebook. So why would someone not troll these sights for that type of thing. I am well aware of what Facebook and Twitter are and I have been to both sights but not as a member just visiting from other websites.

The people you read about in the papers who have parties that get mobbed are usually stupid enough to let everyone know their address, post code, phone number etc. There was another one in the paper today who received 21000 replies on FaceBook for his birthday party event until his mother removed it.

You are correct about doing a search and finding Leyland Forum but my concern was that people would find it much easier to get to the site just because it was more available and easier to get to.

I don't think it's any easier to find it on Facebook and Twitter then it is on Google, Yahoo, MSN, ASK etc. If someone wanted to find the forum or someone on the forum, it's much easier to use a search engine.
But having said all that, I don't want the froum to be a private members club when there are lots of people out there who have a Leyland connection but might not be aware that we exist.

If someone comes to the website do they have to become a member to get to read all our 'member' information. Email address etc. I know that it happens now but not with such a large audience.

First of all, member profiles can only be viewed by registered members of this forum. Your email address is hidden and only you have access to it. If someone sends you a message through the forum, they cannot see your email address, the forum hides it. They will only see your email address If you send them a message.

I am not saying you shouldn't do it perhaps it helps with the running of this site and if it would bring in more good people perhaps that would be OK. But I still have concerns about someone reading one of our postings and taking offense at what was being discussed and then coming to the site and getting obnoxious. We all know how that can be.

Anyone joining the forum is subject to the same rules as the rest of the members. I don't think there is an increased risk of bad people joining just because they saw us on Twitter.

I would dearly miss catching up with old friends on here and having a pleasant chat. I feel over the past few months we have lost quite a few members and I think that is due to attitudes of some posters. I am not sure it would be worth coming to the site if all the 'oldies' left.

The Twitter and FaceBook pages are viewed by people who have a local interest which includes Leyland, Preston, Chorley, Lancashire and the North West so I see it as a good thing to let people know that there is a local website that they can take part in. I still can't see why it would put people off.

Here are some figures to think about.

Out of 545 registered Leyland Forum members about 350 are located in the UK
According to Wikipedia Leyland has an estimated population of 40,000

That means that less than 0.9% of the population of Leyland are members of this forum. One of the reasons for this could be that most of them have never heard of the Leyland Forum. Isn't it about time we let people know that we are here?
Martin ~
Thanks for the link David. Phil have you been watching one too many re-runs of Pulp Fiction?
Martin ~
When I was struck with a very aggressive form of cancer
and given a very poor prognosis ... this forum gave me
support .... strength to continue with 18 months of
very brutal treatment and to fight my way back.
The Stalwarts are forever in my heart and I am forever in
their debt.

T.D.
T. D.