Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Forum Newsfeeds
21-Sep-2010, 01:12 AM

Thankyou for your explanations Martin. It does help. I will keep posting but like you said be more aware of what I post. I might be in the snug more often with Ena Sharples....

This forum has seen me through some tough time even now with the house not selling and Moe being sick its nice to take some time out and pop in here. I also had cancer so its nothing to joke about but keeping your mind active and not dwelling on the worst helped me and have some lively chats on here also kept me in good spirits.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
21-Sep-2010, 10:09 AM

Filmoss. Having read all these postings, forgive me for a few honest moments.

I do not agree with your comments, and overuse of exclamation marks, or the aside reference to Cancer.

For ten years, I sat with my wife of many years after she was told in no uncertain manner that she had the incurable condition. During that ten years I reviewed our lives together, wondered where we had failed, and watched every move as she slowly moved from a happy life, to one of certain death. Not knowing how long was our remaining time together, became a chore. Watching every time some deteriation took place in her condition added to this.

The end came. Subsequently life has to continue, the listening for a chance of hope is always there. It does not go away and has to be endured.

Perhaps this is why I find it hard to believe the way this Forum has
retreated fron its original format, to the dismay of many long standing posters, I will remain an observer, and come back when I feel the need.

The internet is an open road for all to see and consider.
21-Sep-2010, 07:10 PM

I would like to apologise for any distress I may have caused by my comments. My post was with hindsight a little over the top and in no way did I aim it at anyone in particular. I lost my Father 2 years ago to cancer so know the distress that goes with it. I was trying to get across that people were overreacting in my opinion to the forum moving forward and used cancer albeit wrongly to get my point across ! I probably should have said something like I would burn in hell !! Martin I have never seen Pulp Fiction so sorry dont get that one ! Anyhow I am not a malicious person ( impish maybe ) and do not mean any harm. This forum has to look to the future if it is to survive and social networking is that future like it or not it is here !
23-Sep-2010, 11:23 AM

What a hullabaloo about nowt much, as Martin said its all in the public domain, this forum and twitter are both the same, if you don't want your posts and comments in the public eye for anyone to read and reply to, than don't post them in the first place. Talk about storms in teacups.
23-Sep-2010, 06:42 PM

Mick, People much older and wiser than you have expressed their personal feelings on this subject. Those feelings be at variance with your own, but that IN NO WAY gives you the right to describe them as `nowt much`. I happen to value people`s personal and genuine views and perhaps you should learn to do so as well.

Jim
24-Sep-2010, 10:57 AM

They can't be too much older Jim or they'd be getting a telegram from the Queen, wiser I'm sure they all are, its still a storm in a teacup though.
24-Sep-2010, 02:04 PM

I believe that I have answered all the concerns raised in this topic about links to other sites. People who use the forum won't notice any changes as a result of these links beacuse it hasn't changed. We might attract some more locals to join our membership which is surely a good thing, but that has always been the purpose of this site.

If anyone has any more questions about the links I'll be glad to answer them.

[Smile]

Martin ~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-Sep-2010, 03:11 AM

The concerns of some members are real to those members, but there are two options, remove features from the forum so that all members are happy with all features, or reassure people that the forum is a safe place to be and then let people decide if their hangups are greater than their desire to be on here.

For over two decades I have had similar conversations from people who were hostile to mobile phones because there were only a few of us that owned them, computers were to be feared and not allowed in houses, the Internet was evil, online shopping would zap all your money out of your account and many other things.

Its always the same, people reject technology, ideas and concepts, then maybe years later they finally start using it. This seems to be a standard curve with technology, reject it with a vengence, then years later use it like the rest of society.

The difference with this one is that the messages on here were indexed by Google and available via a RSS feed since the Forums creation. But because people dont understand RSS feeds they did not know that they wanted to be scared of them, so all was well. Now Twitter has been mentioned it gives people a chance to complain about something when they have been posting to Google and to the RSS feeds all these years.

It is not nice to lose forum members if they feel they want to leave, but the alternative of limiting the technology, exposure and features of the forum would result in failing to gain lots of new Leyland folk on here. I think that reducing forum features and functionality are thereby losing a lot of new folk, is probably worse than losing a member or two in the short term.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-Sep-2010, 12:11 PM

Audrey, I share your feelings entirely.
I wasn`t going to respond to David Batty, but since you broached the subject, I will.
How very rich it is for someone to pontificate about a forum that he himself confesses to `have forgotten`. His technical knowledge is obviously of the highest order. His understand of people is somewhat less.
If, as he says, the feeds have been present since the forum`s conception, where ARE all these hundreds of Leyland people waiting to log on.
I won`t go over old ground, save to repeat the fact that concerned members contributed over 7,000 posts and just how many new members, and years, will it take to replace them?

Jim
27-Sep-2010, 12:38 PM

Some of the replies I have read on this subject would explain a lot of things ! Predominantly it used to be a " I remember when all this was fields " type of forum but there has to be some occasional left field stuff it adds a certain edge to the forum ! If you dont want to get involved in such debate then dont it really is that simple and if you want to ignore certain people then do as Frank did and use the ignore button ! It really is your prerogative ! There is plenty of room for all kinds of debate. For instance I have never even looked at the " Great Read " thread as I dont read books so therefore no need to get involved. I have never read the gardening stuff as I dont do gardening ! Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and if they want to share them then that is what a forum is for. I am not a nasty person or threatening person but I will stand my ground in a debate if I feel I need to but at the end of the day a lot of chatroomesque talk is just throwaway comments and should be taken with a pinch of salt ! I find it quite strange how any stuff I post that is controversial gets responses but when I start threads on normal everyday stuff say to do with Leyland, the subject hardly gets broached ! I would consider myself like Marmite ! And I bloody love the stuff !! [Big Grin] Have a nice day !