Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The Ashes
25-Nov-2010, 10:25 AM

What a wonderful start by England says he sarcastically. Why am I not surprised.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
26-Nov-2010, 04:16 AM

Ha Ha - the Aussies are roaring over here with the usual pathetic England opening day - as we speak the Aussies are 3 down on day 2, see where this goes - isn't that why the Ashes are so marvellous. Hey Phil, I don't mind the sun, but not too much of it, as for the beer - bring it on!! Do you know you can hire a "beer wench" at the cricket here - the girl gets paid to walk to the bar and buy beer for you all day. I've never personally used the service but I've seen it. I gotta say the heart strings were pulled watching the opening day at the Gabba near to where I lived for many years - the new ground isn't a patch on the old one where you could sit on the grass on "The Hill". I can tell you Ive had a few suntans there from watching the cricket all day. When I first moved there Beefy Botham was playing for Queesnland and I watched him in awe one day cracking three sixes in a row onto the roof of the stand above me. I may get to the WACA this series - watch this space. Best ground I have ever visited is the Basin Reserve in Wellington NZ, a cricket venue of yester-year still operating today - although sadly not for Tests.
26-Nov-2010, 10:47 AM

quote:

Originally posted by Peter Harris

Ha Ha - the Aussies are roaring over here with the usual pathetic England opening day - as we speak the Aussies are 3 down on day 2, see where this goes - isn't that why the Ashes are so marvellous. Hey Phil, I don't mind the sun, but not too much of it, as for the beer - bring it on!! Do you know you can hire a "beer wench" at the cricket here - the girl gets paid to walk to the bar and buy beer for you all day. I've never personally used the service but I've seen it. I gotta say the heart strings were pulled watching the opening day at the Gabba near to where I lived for many years - the new ground isn't a patch on the old one where you could sit on the grass on "The Hill". I can tell you Ive had a few suntans there from watching the cricket all day. When I first moved there Beefy Botham was playing for Queesnland and I watched him in awe one day cracking three sixes in a row onto the roof of the stand above me. I may get to the WACA this series - watch this space. Best ground I have ever visited is the Basin Reserve in Wellington NZ, a cricket venue of yester-year still operating today - although sadly not for Tests.

I seem to remember you and Billy Barton hiring some sort of serving wench's in Thailand but thats another story eh Pete ha ha ha Oh to be young again ! [Wink] The pics of golf balls and smoke rings is etched in my memory !!
26-Nov-2010, 11:07 AM

It's nothing I didn't expect. At least we beat them at Rugby.
27-Nov-2010, 11:35 AM

Phil - A gentleman would never condone such activities!! - Wow what a marvellous game Test Match Cricket is - today after going for a day and a half without a wicket and Hussey and Haddin's record partnership, England finish of the Aussies and bat again going to stumps without loss. Tomorrow is set to be the make or break of England and will set the scene for the series - England standing tall, or England intimidated - if only the soccer losers had been exposed to the backbone developing aspects of cricket, we may have had another World Cup since 1966, I suspect it will be a long time coming.
27-Nov-2010, 11:39 AM

Hey Noel just a point of clarification, did England beat Australia or the Thai serving wenches at rugby?
27-Nov-2010, 11:47 AM

England 35-18 Australia .

I'm having a laugh at England's performance in the ashes, full of bravado before the games started, even the aussie media were writing their own side off.

Put the English team under pressure though and 9 times out of 10 they'll crack.
28-Nov-2010, 05:49 AM

Todays update comes before close of play, Ill take a punt on making the following comments based on the body language of the players - Strauss just dismissed for a captians knock of 110, the second opener Cook approaching his hundred. The Aussies are not laughing any more as a very different England fight back, have just cancelled the deficit and are now in front with a day and a half and 9 men to go. The current target of saving a draw to set the scene for Test match #2 now becomes, "well why draw when we may win this" - indeed a very different England - one worth watching.
28-Nov-2010, 10:03 AM

I'm going to have to eat my words! 309 for 1, I didn't expect that.
28-Nov-2010, 12:18 PM

Thats test cricket for ya !! [8D]