Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mobs Messiahs & Markets
07-Nov-2010, 01:43 AM
Mobs Messiahs & Markets
Has anyone read 'Mobs Messiahs & Markets', I have just ordered it online but it will take months to arrive on the remote island of Macquarie where I am living, and I wondered has anyone read it and what they thought of it.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-Nov-2010, 04:04 PM (This post was last modified: 11-Apr-2015 07:44 PM by admin.)

Mick- I've not yet read the book , but it does appear interesting -

Bill Bonner's explanation of Greenspann's /Clinton's ineptitude described in the above review is commendable - the review in itself is compelling , apparently there's lots of sense in the book , I'll likely buy it also !

(quote from the review - 'Messiahs, and Markets should be required reading for anyone wishing to participate as a citizen. I also highly recommend it for anyone who has bills to pay.'!

I noted the island of Macquarie although I admit I'd not heard of it before - I looked at it on Google Earth - it's certainly remote - seems there's a research station or similar at the north western end and mountains and penguins with little else - I note the massive undersea rift to the east your description of the island would be interesting I'm sure ! I 've visited the Falklands (which looks similar but not so remote ) but it doesn't have the mountain terrain that Macquarie has .
08-Nov-2010, 09:56 AM

Yes Allan it is very remote - halfway between Tasmania and Antarctica, its always between minus 10 to plus 8 in summer its spring now. Thge island is world heritage listed as the only geological uplifted seabed that is geologists can see the seabed of thousands of years ago. Lots of seals, penguins, seabirds Australias only wandering Albatross breeding site it is owned by Tasmania and is a national park. There is a lot of info on it on the following site http://www.antarctica.gov.au - follow link to Macquarie island it gives all the sciences and other info of activitiies here. I'm working on the construction of a new power house for the worldwide network of nuclear radiation monitoring sites Macca is one of them. Today was rainy foggy and cold just like most other days here - mick
09-Nov-2010, 02:46 AM

Thanks Mick , a most interesting site .

How long will you be in that area ?
09-Nov-2010, 09:38 AM

Another 15 months to go, I hope to retire after this one I'll be ready to