Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-Dec-2010, 05:40 PM

have a great christmas peter where ever you, are and wish the family "kalla kristoovyennia" from us in crete, it`s greek for good christmas, hope your health is OK, Working the rigs is a very tough job. those I know don`t last at it much after 50. regards dave & Gill, Ruth and I divorced a number of years ago in case you wonder who Gill is.

djh
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
13-Dec-2010, 04:57 AM

Thanks David

Have a great Christmas - all the best.

Peter
27-Dec-2010, 10:15 AM

I noticed your earlier post about Alec Ritchie, he was a great bloke - the Dad of Ian and Colin my friends, I believe Alec passed away although Mrs R is still around. I remember Alec used to sprint all the way from their house on Broadfield Drive to the Fire Station when there was a call, when we were playing football or cricket on the Green, we used to stop to watch Alec sprint by.
Its funny how technology has changed, when we were kids my Dad and yourself used to leg it to the Station when that huge air raid siren used to go off in the tower, we were treated to a huge bell ringing in our stairwell at nights, most of the street woken up. Nowadays, people have these lovely pagers that don't affect the rest of the family or street when they get called out.
27-Dec-2010, 07:50 PM

thanks for reply, colin was a fishing mate of our Mark, farington lodge and all that, the firebrigade was a very hard life 40 hrs nights at the motors then 128hrs cover for lancs county no time left out of 168hrs in a week talk about burning the candle at both ends, but it helped me escape the council house trap, allthough I loved our house in woodlands drive but sadly the council couldn`t let the tenant buy in those days, remember the sunday football team i ran, it was the start of sunday league football for kids. happy days, running 12 kids in my vauxhall victor estate car its was cool, using redrose old shirts a mile to big for all the team.

djh
28-Dec-2010, 04:49 AM

Yes David, I remember it well, a character building time for all of us, and we learned some important lessons as members of the team.
07-Jan-2011, 09:26 PM

Having rescently found this site and enjoyed reading most of the topics i wish to introduce myself. I am Frank Houghton I lived in leyland from 1944 till 1978, I worked in the town 38 years as a joiner at A M Tomlinsons. I am a cousin of Bernard Mann also related to Peter Houghton (fathers were cousins).I now live in wigan, but my brother Tony still lives in leyland.
07-Jan-2011, 10:16 PM

Welcome to the Forum Frank[Big Grin]

I remember your cousin Bernard Mann.

T. D.
07-Jan-2011, 10:53 PM

Hello Frank and welcome.

Martin ~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-Jan-2011, 01:20 AM

Hello, Frank! :-)
08-Jan-2011, 03:45 AM

Hello, Frank (from another one):

When I was growing up, we lived just up the avenue from the Mann family and we played together for several years, mainly in the gorse thicket in the south east corner of the Vicars Field soccer pitches. We lived at 13 Beech Avenue. Bernard, Frank, Winifred and Christine were our constant companions.

When I was 10, we moved to number 7 Church Road, which was right in front of Tomlinson's yard and just a couple of houses up from the entrance to their woodshop. It had been my great-grandmother's house.

You may remember when Church Road was widened and we lost about 20 feet of our front garden. The bus stop for the 109 was moved from the War Memorial to right in front of our old house. We'd sold to the doctors by then and were living in Hargreaves Avenue.

After I graduated from RCAT-Salford (1965), we moved to the Midlands. In 1968, my wife and I and our two younger daughters emigrated to the USA, and we've been here ever since, adding a third daughter and a son.

Apart from a short time in Virginia, where our son was born, we've lived in Washington State all those years. We're now in Anacortes, which my sister reckons is the place where God goes on his hoildays.

Frank Damp
(son of Allan, who was the manager of the George Damp & Sons shop on Towngate)

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.