Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Kindle Books
08-Jan-2011, 03:57 AM

I'm sure hoping so, Linda. I read mainly late 20th to current century mystery writers and their books are expensive. They're less tha hard-backs, but I think more than the paperback versions.

I'll keep a close eye on prices of those I like (one advantage of being a retiree!) and will buy when they drop below $4. I can't see shelling out $18 for an electronic copy of anything!

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
08-Jan-2011, 07:39 PM

If you wait till the paperback's been out for a while the price seems to go down. I noticed yesterday on Amazon UK that "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" was £2.74 for Kindle, which was about a quid cheaper than the paperback version. That's about $4.30, I think. But if you look at how dear digital cameras, DVD players etc were when they first came out and how cheaply they can be bought now, I think the same thing will happen with electronic book technology. In the meantime how about some Wilkie Collins for out of copyright mystery?
09-Jan-2011, 11:46 AM

I installed Calibre on my pc and here's a good tip for getting free news on your kindle.

If you want to subscribe to a newspaper for the kindle using Amazon you have to pay. Calibre has got a newsfeed collector for newspapers around the world. Set it to download your favourite newspapers and it will convert them to ebook format and then transfer them to your Kindle at no charge.

Calibre ebook management

Martin ~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-Jan-2011, 01:32 AM

I downloaded a couple of titles from ManyBooks.net yesterday and I find one of them to be almost unreadble because of character translations being messed up. The original digitization was done by Gutenberg and I downloaded it as a Kindle ".azw" format.[b]Has anyone else had trouble? An opening quote (") comes up as [b]aEurooe, a closing quote as
[i]aEuroou[/b]
, a dash as an "A" with a paragraph marker after it and an apostrophe as aEuro™[/b][/i]. Since this particular book has a lot of dialog in it, it's really tough.

The book in question is "Test Pilot" by Jimmy Collins.

Comments?

Frank

12-Jan-2011, 02:33 PM

Frank, I've just loaded this book on my Kindle and it looks ok to me. You might have a corrupted file. try deleting it and download it again .

Martin ~
12-Jan-2011, 10:52 PM

Martin:

I sent a bug report to ManyBooks yesterday afternoon and got a reply overnight from one of their guys who said he'd identified the problem and fixed it. It's likely that your download was just after he'd done that.

Incidentally, I got that book about the Space Station prgram. Anyone who has worked in any major engineering company or NASA should get it. It's hilarious.

Frank

14-Jan-2011, 07:48 PM

I haven't tried to download any books from Gutenberg yet.
Can you tell me if there are any fishhooks in doing so.
Thanks for any help as I am not very technical.
I found downloading from Amazon easy but some of the titles were not what I would have read.
'Twilight of the Gods' was consigned to the heap PDQ. I think I was thinking of Chariots of the Gods.
[Smile]
14-Jan-2011, 09:34 PM

It looks straight forward Lynne, manybooks does to. They both have Kindle formats.

Martin ~
15-Jan-2011, 01:26 AM

I've picked up a few from ManyBooks.net and it has been straightforward. The extra step is (as far as I can tell) you have to browse on your PC, download to it and then transfer to the Kindle using the USB link that is part of the charger.

One book I got was full of translation errors, but a quick word to manyBooks and they fixed it. They list quite a lot of translations done by Gutenberg.

Frank

15-Jan-2011, 12:59 PM

Thanks Frank -will have a go soon -and report back
[Big Grin]