Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Kindle Books
15-Jan-2011, 05:03 PM

Thanks Martin and Frank.
After a few tentative tries I managed to transfer 'The Moonstone' and 'A Study in Scarlet' successfully.[Big Grin]
There are a lot of titles but trial and error re whether they may be what I want to read.
Quite fun really.
Cheers.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
16-Jan-2011, 12:07 AM

That's one of the risks I'm not willing to take with Amanzon's more expensive books. If they're !.50 or less I'll risk it, but if they're $10 and up, I want to know they're from authors I know and want to read.

Glad you were successful, Lynne.

My main objective in getting the Kindle was to eliminate large stacks of books in the motorhome when we're on a trip. Even a 10-ton truck can do without 250 pounds of paper if you really don't need it.

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
26-May-2011, 11:06 AM

Bought my kindle in Feb and absolutely love it so much I also bought my husband one. I've only downloaded from Amazon which have usually been free or under £2. Downloaded Daddy's Home last night for 69p.
Wouldn't be without my Kindle especially on holiday.
Quote this message in a reply
26-May-2011, 01:14 PM

Welcome to the forum Jules. I'm debating getting one, it'd certainly cut down on the weight when we go on hols.
26-May-2011, 01:18 PM

Hi Julie, you should have a look at this site http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page there are lots of free classics available for download.

Martin ~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-May-2011, 02:10 PM

Has anyone used any other e-book reader other than Kindle? There seems to be loads out there and dearer ones as well as cheaper ones. I'm puzzled which I should buy and the reviews aren't always reliable I find. Some say a certain one is the bees' knees, others say it's rubbish.
A literary minefield.
26-May-2011, 04:29 PM

I find the screen on the Kindle is superb for reading. If you try and read a book on your computer or on an iPad you'll soon end up with sore eyes caused by screen glare.

Don't take any notice of reviews that compare the Kindle to the iPad or other tablets as most of them compare the features that have nothing to do with ebook reading. The kindle is not a tablet pc and the ipad is not an ebook reader.

Martin ~
26-May-2011, 11:23 PM

Noel, the Kindle screen is not backlit, so there's no glare and you can read it on the beach or in full sun - something to bear in mind if you want it for hols. Son loves his.
27-May-2011, 10:23 AM

That sounds fine, thank-you. Amazon appear to be the only company that sells them at a rigid £111 price.
27-May-2011, 10:52 AM

Tesco sell them too.

Martin ~