Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Kindle Books
11-Oct-2012, 11:02 AM

A German company is launching a £10 electronic book reader later this month that could spell the end for Kindle. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/a...indle.html
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
11-Oct-2012, 08:52 PM

It's small and cheap but I don't think it will kill off the Kindle, especially now that the colour tablets are on sale.

Martin ~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-Oct-2012, 09:14 PM

It looks like you need to go out and buy an expensive mobile phone to down load the books, so wont be any cheaper than a kindle.

frank h.
12-Oct-2012, 09:51 AM

I prefer hard copies, the technology's passing me by.
12-Oct-2012, 04:23 PM

Sometimes I read hard copies from the library - the price is right! I'm not one of the people that go back and repeatedly re-read a book, particularly fiction. I've read it, I know who did the dirty deed and I'm done with it. I keep some books for reference and for visitors to read.

The big advantage with Kindle and its brethren is that 800 books don't weight any more than one. When you're travelling around like we do, in the motorhome, it's nice not to have that extra weight or to need space to store the books.

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
19-Oct-2012, 02:11 PM

Hi

I've read this discussion with great interest. My publishers have talked about putting Forgotten Lancashire out on Kindle. I'm not sure it will work, as there are a lot of illustrations (about 140!).

Also, I'm not sure how they would price it. The book itelf is on Amazon at £8.99 including P&P - cheaper than TMB Books can sell it.
I don't know what a reasonable price would be for a Kindle version of the book, but I can't see TMB pushing it out for much less £4.99. It seems a bit steep for something you can't hold in your hand!

Cheers

Derek
19-Oct-2012, 04:59 PM

I got an e-mail from Amazon the other day announcing that they had won a "Restraint of Trade" lawsuit against several publishers who had artificially kept the price of e-books high. Everyone who bought e-books from those particular publishers will be getting a refund.

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
19-Oct-2012, 05:33 PM

Derek I think the illustrations are fundamental to your book, the top hats for example part of the humour. Not sure how it would work with Kindle, can it ( kindle) show the illustrations or is it text only?
20-Oct-2012, 10:23 AM

The Kindle does show images Noel, although they are black and white.

Martin ~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-Oct-2012, 11:32 AM

quote:

Originally posted by Martin

The Kindle does show images Noel, although they are black and white.

All of Derek's illustrations are black and white ( I think they're called "grayscale" or something similar these days, but black and white to me), so it could work for his book.