Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
bring on the old'uns
10-Jan-2011, 01:49 AM
bring on the old'uns
I think it was Frank who mentioned that he hardly ever reads books he's read before and I was a bit the same. but this week having got stuck without a book- horror of horrors, i picked up "The Far Pavilions"- M.M. kaye -which i must have read 2o years ago and I am thoroughly enjoying it.
It's amazing what you forget, especially the fine details.
Which favourites have the forum got that they have read at least twice?? sandy
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
10-Jan-2011, 02:05 AM

I often read books that I've read before, after 10 years or so there seems to be stuff I must have forgotten.
One that springs to mind is 'Not Much of an Engineer' by Stanley Hooker.[surprise surprise]. It's the biography of the guy who brought the gas turbine to fruition. Much of it happened in Lancashire, [Clitheroe and Barnoldswick]. Brilliantly written by a great engineer. Rolls Royce would'nt be the world leader in aircraft engines without his work.
John
11-Jan-2011, 08:47 PM

I know Noel will agree with me on this one - Terry Pratchett's Discworld series can be happily read again and again. As a child I read "What Katy Did" at least 20 times - the copy had been my grandmother's as a child. However, thanks to Father Christmas, I have a stash of new books by the bed, so I won't be re-reading anything for a while. :-)
12-Jan-2011, 10:32 AM

Dead right Linda. I've read and reread and find things I completely missed previously.
Now I'm catching up on the films on Sky, The Colour of Magic, Hogwatch and Going Postal so far.
I'm not sure if that's as many as have been filmed. It's interesting seeing the interpretation the producers put on the book.
Likewise I have a stack of books, and no time to read! This retirement lark ain't half hard.
13-Jan-2011, 11:59 PM

I haven't seen the Colour of Magic, Noel. I didn't think David Jason was right to play Rincewind. In the version in my head Rincewind looks like that bloke who used to play Catweazle in the 70's, Geoffrey Bayldon. David Jason was good as Albert in Hogwatch though. Going Postal was enjoyable too.
14-Jan-2011, 10:37 AM

In my head Rincewind was overweight. When Susan pulled the bogey man out from under the bed, in my head he was black and slimy, and possibly covered in bogies ( cough) but in the film he was totally different to how I had imagined.
14-Jan-2011, 01:47 PM

I have similar feelings about my expectations of what the characters should look like. So far I've only seen Going Postal as we haven't got Sky.

Martin ~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-Jan-2011, 04:33 PM

I'd much rather read a book tham watch a movie. If Hollywood relied on folks like me they'd have gone broke years ago. I think I've been to the movies maybe 6 times in the last 15 years. We were on Netflix for a while, a gift from our son, but we dropped it after a year as we couldn't come up with anything we wanted to rent. We'd gone through all the old UK TV shows!

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
14-Jan-2011, 05:16 PM

It varies with me as I'm a poor book reader due to my eyesight after hours of laser surgery on it. But I did read Captain Correlli's Mandolin a few years ago and thoroughly enjoyed the read, so much a I watched the film that came out later, end couldn't stand it. It had been altered to give a totally different ending, typical Hollywood, evryone living happily ever after, and the acting, well I think a wooden stick would have done better than Nicholas Cage.
16-Jan-2011, 11:23 AM

Frank, the Discworld films we've been discussing were made for Sky TV, so we've not been out to the cinema to see them. I don't go to the cinema much - maybe twice a year. And there was a very long period when we didn't go at all.
Noel, I sometimes play a little game in my head, playing casting director for the Discworld books. Alan Rickman would be my Vetinari, Ken Stott as Vimes, Miranda Hart as Lady Sybil, Lee Evans as Nobby Nobbs and so on. I still can't think of anyone to play Carrot though...