Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hough Lane
04-Mar-2011, 08:04 PM
Hough Lane
I've been reading the messages regarding shops etc on Towngate, Water St and Hough Lane. Does anyone remember a chippy on Hough Lane called Demain's. Can't remember just where it was, but it was on the south side about where the 'washer repair' shop is now. He used to sell us kids a 'fag and a match' for a penny, which we would smoke up the backs - taking turns to have a drag.
Derek Wilkins
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
04-Mar-2011, 08:36 PM

I remember Demains ... across the street from the
Off Licence.

Sometimes it was a Chip Shop and other times it was
a Candy Store and I think Newsagents depending on the
price of fish and/or potatoes ... or how he fealt at
the time!!! He used to cover the fryers with stuff for
sale if they were not needed at the time!!!

I love old Leyland there were some wonderful characters
living there![Big Grin]

T. D.
05-Mar-2011, 07:49 PM

Thanks Karen. Yes, Demain certainly was a larger than life character. I came across him in later years when he was working in Leyland Motors' Farington Foundry. He was the most compulsive chain-smoker I ever came across and use to boast that he smoked 100 a day!
There has been some talk in the forum about a hardware shop on Hough Lane and I think it was finally decided that whoever had asked the question meant Bolans. I remember that around 1950 there was another hardware shop, nearer to the Gables, probably just past Parkinson's shop. They used to display things like dustbins and brushes etc on the pavement and I remember the shop smelling of paraffin. Any ideas??
06-Mar-2011, 12:52 AM

Beleive it was just called Leyalnd DIY but maybe I am wrong because did not move here till 1976 but was definitely a hardware shop after Bolans near Parkys
06-Mar-2011, 06:09 AM

Yes, "Leyland DIY" was the shop. It opened in the mid-1960's I think. It was in the block between Thurston Road and Bolan's, not the same block as Parkinsons. I can't remember which year our hardware store closed, but i'm pretty sure Leyland DIY opened just afterwards. After ours was gone, there wasn't a hardware store in town, because Heaton's was demolished when the area around the Cross was redeveloped and the Co-Op went in.

Frank Damp

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
07-Mar-2011, 12:21 AM

The shop I was thinking of was long before Leyland DIY. The chap who had Leyland DIY was probably in nappies at the time - he also had a branch in Queen's Mill Preston in the 70s.
08-Mar-2011, 09:54 PM

I checked in a trade directory for 1952 and the shop I was thinking of was W.H. Wilson's, Ironmongers. It was No. 14 and sandwiched between Harry Bamber's hairdressers (No.16) and Stopford's confectioners (No.12). After No.12 was Sumner St.
These directories are available in Leyland Library, but for any ex-pats who are interested I will gladly post a complete list for Hough Lane (South side)
09-Mar-2011, 03:42 AM

That's quite a revelation, Derek. I wasn't aware that Goerge Damp and Sons had a competitor that close! Without going on Google Earth to check, I'm assuming it was in the block between the street to the east of Grundy's and Thurston Road.

There sure were a lot of bakers and confectioners in Leyland back then. I'd remembered Stopfords as the one on Turpin Green, just round the corner from the bank, but maybe that was Margerison's or something like that. Later it was Bob Barton's motorcycle shop.

My wife's parents (Percy and Polly Nixon) had a greengrocery at number 90 Hough Lane, down near the gasworks.

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
09-Mar-2011, 10:26 AM

Frank,
Yes, Nixons are listed at 90, between Thacker's newsagents and Butcher's wireless dealers. We always new the latter as 'Dinky Butcher's' because he sold Dinky toys and Hornby stuff.
I don't remember a confectioners where Bob Barton's shop was but there was Waidson's further up Turpin Green on the opposite side (opposite the junction with Balcarres Rd.0
By the way, Christine (Dearden)sends her best wishes to Eileen - she often talks about their weekends in the caravan at Silverdale.