Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1930'S
My memory isnt quite what it used to be but just a little history of Golden Hill Lane, Going from the Railway Station you passed the Goods Yard on the right, the Police Station on the left, next on the right was the District Bank( later taken over by one of the big4) next door was the Snooker hall where you could hire a table for twenty minutes at a cost of twopence(old money) next came a square of cinder covered land at the street corner on which was the open market stalls stood (weds and Saturday only) on the laft were a number of shops I only remember one which was a greengrocers- Wrennalls. further on the right was the recently built Emplyment Exchange, then somewhere about where the entarnce to the Leyland Motors factory was a farmhouse used by the Coal Merchant, then a small garage a grass field to Wheeldon Lane. which then lead to farms and eventually to Mill street in Farington.
That "small garage" was ours, Dan (George Damp & Sons). I think we acquired in in 1946 or 47, from whom i have no idea. I don't think we built it. LML bought it (to get the land uder it) when they decided to build the bus factory further back off Golden Hill. We moved that part of the business to the interscetion of Canberra Road and Turpin Green. Our buiding was across the triangle, with access from both roads.

We later consolidated our operations at Towngate and sold the filling station to Bob Barton. He demolished our old building (no great loss) and aligned his new one to front on Canberra Road. At that time, I don't remember anything being on the south side of Golden Hill once you got past the end of the row of shops. On the north side there was a housing terrace, maybe 10 houses?, that ran from about where the Churchill Way lights are now towards the Chapel Brow junction. Not sure if they're still there. Friend of my grandparents lived in one of them.

Frank
Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
I remember Barton's opening the garage. He employed young ladies with low cut tight fitting T shirts who, in those days came out to fill your car. It was around that time I had problems with my blood pressure.
Serves you right you dirty git ! And you an ex choirboy!
Just remembered the Coal Merchant was a Hodges who delivered coal by horse and cart, after the war he business was taken over by his son Tom