• 0 Votes - 0 Average
Flag Market
20-Oct-2003, 09:58 PM
Flag Market
quote:

A Flag Market fit for a city
by Ben Hewes
PRESTON'S historic flag market is set for a £330,000 face-lift

The Flag Market and neighbouring Cenotaph are to be extended, and the road that runs between them is to be closed and pedestrianised.

The area will be brightened up with trees and benches, making it more suitable for holding large public events.

http://www.thisislancashire.co.uk/lancashire/preston/news/PRESTNEWS0.html

It's about time they did something with the flag market. It's not the safest of surfaces to walk across at the best of times. I agree with closing off the road that cuts through it too.

Martin ~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
20-Oct-2003, 10:45 PM

Martin, I can`t say a lot about Preston Market as I don`t visit it. I was there with Margaret the year before she died and found it to be a very depressing place, especially the covered section with its very high roof structure. I`m sure Lady G will comment about Barnsley Market, and make a comparison, she knows it well. William R.
Find all posts by this user
21-Oct-2003, 05:58 AM

Well then -that's a hard choice -Preston Market or Barnsley?
Have to say I like all markets as am always on the lookout for a bargain.[Big Grin]
Preston market I found had the stalls too close together and it was difficult to find a way through the crowds.Barnsley has wonderful fish,veg and meat stalls -all very fresh.
I have to say Barnsley was best or I'll be in the dog box.
LG
21-Oct-2003, 08:05 PM

The Preston covered markets are nothing, compared to several years ago. The smaller of the two is the `fish market`. Trouble is, there isn`t a single fish stall to be seen. Tools and second-hand books are the main attractions today. However, I must say that the Victorian design of both the markets is a terrific asset to the city and I am greatly heartned by the news that no major alerations are to be made other than to encase them with glass sides. I Know that this is Leyland forum, but markets do have a `heart` and unfortunately I feel that Leyland has lost it`s central `feel`, let`s hope it isn`t repeated in P{reston.

Jim
21-Oct-2003, 09:37 PM

Spitfire, are you telling me that the Southport Shrimp stall has gone, the one on the street but part of fish market facing the main market, where the lady placed the shrimps also cockles in a cone shaped paper bag? She also sold shrimps in butter !
I sincerely hope that stall is still there !
Alan M
21-Oct-2003, 09:52 PM

There never seems to be anyone selling shrimps round here, Its always Iceland Prawns. The last shrimps I had were years ago at Blackpool, but the women from Banks used to sell them in Leyland, door to door,before the war. Yes, in butter and they were good. William R.
21-Oct-2003, 10:29 PM

Oh those buttered shrimps in little pots!!!!!!Wonderful memory.
LG
21-Oct-2003, 10:31 PM

Do the sellers still come round the pubs with baskets of crabs, shrimps,cockles ,periwinkles etc?
LG
21-Oct-2003, 10:33 PM

A really lovely market is the Skipton one-glorious cheese and country fare displays
LG
21-Oct-2003, 10:56 PM

Skipton Market? Do they have one? Alright I ducked out of your way.W.R.