Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
old days in the comet shop
08-Jul-2011, 12:54 AM
old days in the comet shop
hi im frank robinson is there anyone out there who remembers the old days working in the new shop a few names spring to mind peter coupe brian bennett brian bell he was the sample inspector i worked on the annulus section jimmy cross also and errol simister on spline grinding paddy the patrol inspector good grief its all coming back to me now lol steve clark and loads more great workmates if anyone remembers those days i would be glad to here from them frank

f j robinson
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
08-Jul-2011, 10:34 AM

Welcome to the forum Frank. My mother was a shop steward in the Nozzle Shop as she called it back in the days of the strike action, sixties I think.
08-Jul-2011, 02:42 PM

Hello Frank and welcome to the forum... How many Franks have we got now?

Martin ~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-Jul-2011, 02:53 PM

Welcome Frank,
I remember the name but can't bring your face to mind. I worked in the lab and heat treatment and spent lots of time in the new shop.
I ended up in Quality and my office was over Morrison's cafe !!
08-Jul-2011, 03:06 PM

quote:

Originally posted by noel

Welcome to the forum Frank. My mother was a shop steward in the Nozzle Shop as she called it back in the days of the strike action, sixties I think. hi noel thanks for youre mail yes youre right the nozzle shop was in the the north works i started my apprenticeship in 1967 i remember len brindle taking over as works convener and leading the first strike in the companies history in 1969 the word he used were they have been paying in pennies for years now they will have to pay in pounds all well and good at the time but sadly the begining of the end in my opinion i have loads of memories of my 35 years at leyland i hope to share with like minded people who remember the old days frank

f j robinson
09-Jul-2011, 10:04 AM

quote:

Originally posted by Wilko

Welcome Frank,
I remember the name but can't bring your face to mind. I worked in the lab and heat treatment and spent lots of time in the new shop.
I ended up in Quality and my office was over Morrison's cafe !!

hi derek yes i remember you well i worked on the annulus section on the hasse and wrede autos dave barton was the later foreman i met up with him again when i took a driving job with fred coupe walton le dale he was the other driver i had a shock when i walked in the first day and he was there lol do you remember bert smith the setter? and dick entwhistle he was my first foreman when i joined the section how busy we were 7 days a week the hasse and wredes never stopped lol good days derek i wouldnt have missed it for the world anyway hope you are keeping ok hope to chat with more people on here frank

f j robinson
10-Jul-2011, 12:12 PM

Both my Mum and Dad worked in various parts of Leylands activities, John and Marie Harris
10-Jul-2011, 08:27 PM

Frank,
were the Hasse - Redes used for cutting the internal teeth on the annulus gears ? I could tell many stories about Comet Shop and its people but most would be libellous!!
10-Jul-2011, 11:53 PM

hi derek no the hasse and wrede machines were vertical multi chuck auto turning and boring machines they roughed out and finish turned the annulus gears there were 4 of them and later on they got a fifth one but they didnt use that one much by that time the annulus job and indeed the whole new shop was being run down the teeth were cut on the line of sykes gear cutters on the inside of the annulus tommy williams and ernie priesley worked on them you see i still remember their names lol how could i forget i spent almost 20 years in that shop anyway anything else you would like to know just ask all the best frank

f j robinson
11-Jul-2011, 12:03 AM

quote:

Originally posted by Peter Harris

Both my Mum and Dad worked in various parts of Leylands activities, John and Marie Harris

hi peter do you know what factory they worked at leyland was a big place i spent most of my years from 1967 to 2002 in the comet shop when i was an apprentice i moved around all the factories as all apprentices did in those days frank

f j robinson