Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
old days in the comet shop
11-Jul-2011, 05:53 AM

Hello Frank

I think my Mum worked everywhere including BUTEC for a while, nozzle shop sounds familiar, I seem to remember my Dad worked at the factory on Thurston Road, but again he had worked all over the place, I think my Dad had over 30 years service, he certainly had a gold watch, although not for him, he has a ladies one prepared for my Mum.

Peter
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
11-Jul-2011, 11:45 PM

quote:

Originally posted by Peter Harris

Hello Frank

I think my Mum worked everywhere including BUTEC for a while, nozzle shop sounds familiar, I seem to remember my Dad worked at the factory on Thurston Road, but again he had worked all over the place, I think my Dad had over 30 years service, he certainly had a gold watch, although not for him, he has a ladies one prepared for my Mum. hi peter butec was the factory off golden hill lane leyland they assembled electrical parts i never worked there it was seperate from the rest of the leyland factories youre dad worked at south works on thurston road thats where they made all the sheet metal parts and pressings also the bus bodies were made there pre 1954 the last leyland made bus body was made at the end of 1954 the upholstery section as well the apprentice training centre was at south works thats were i did my first years training you said youre mum also worked in the nozzle shop that was at the north works across the road from south works the nozzles were desiel engine injectors a very skilled job that women were better suited to do than men was youre dad a sheet metal worker? let me know all the best frank

Peter

f j robinson
17-Jul-2011, 04:21 PM

Hi Frank my dad worked in the comet shop Bob Shufflebottom or more commonly known as Bob Shuff. I remember being bitterly disappointed when he came home from his first day in there as I thought he had said Comic shop and I was hoping he would be able to bring some home[Big Grin] My Mum Celia Shufflebottom worked in the Nozzle shop as well and eventually I started in North works in the postage dept before starting on the Switchboard at north works
18-Jul-2011, 11:45 PM

quote:

Originally posted by shuffy

Hi Frank my dad worked in the comet shop Bob Shufflebottom or more commonly known as Bob Shuff. I remember being bitterly disappointed when he came home from his first day in there as I thought he had said Comic shop and I was hoping he would be able to bring some home[Big Grin] My Mum Celia Shufflebottom worked in the Nozzle shop as well and eventually I started in North works in the postage dept before starting on the Switchboard at north works

hi was youre mum the shop steward in the nozzle shop if so i remember her i worked in 100 shop just across the passage from nozzle shop when i was an apprentice in 1970 just after the strike in 1969 george astley was the foreman his nickname was wire lol then i moved to 102 shop before going to farington frank

f j robinson
19-Jul-2011, 09:04 AM

No it was Noels mum who was the shop steward.
09-Oct-2011, 02:39 PM

Although I only passed through Comet as a poor 17yr old apprentice for a week. I was a regular to scrounge a brew off my mum. Anyone remember her? Jean Wilkinson, the nurse at Comet Medical
09-Oct-2011, 05:53 PM

I can help Peter out with his Dads work place He was on regular nights at Spurrier wks with me, he was a grinder on cylinder liners on the ryders internal grinding we were neighbours and used to go to work together for 10 years until I went on days in production control.

djh
09-Oct-2011, 06:05 PM

Hi Tim,
I remember your mum very well. She was a treasure !!
07-Nov-2011, 09:45 PM

Both my dad frank wilson and brother john worked in the comet shop , also my aunty worked as a time cleark . i worked in the post room for 21 years and loved every minute of it . my Aunty name is olive Hoar .love to hear from anyone who know me .xx
06-Sep-2013, 09:48 AM (This post was last modified: 08-Sep-2013 04:51 PM by admin.)
RE: spurrier works
(09-Oct-2011 05:53 PM)Dave H Wrote:  I can help Peter out with his Dads work place He was on regular nights at Spurrier wks with me, he was a grinder on cylinder liners on the ryders internal grinding we were neighbours and used to go to work together for 10 years until I went on days in production control.

Hi my name is jimmy, I worked on the cylinder liner line in the late 60s
but I cannot remember everyone . I was on the Ryder borers and the finish turning section . I remember Johnny Harris at the start of the line
and an elderly man named Charlie. Of the team on skimming I can only recollect Paddy Dwyer from Lostock Hall And Ronnie, I think he was from Bamber bridge . I have only just found this site and it brings back
memories I didn't Know I had.
Quote this message in a reply