Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Iron Gate Farm
04-Aug-2011, 08:36 PM
Iron Gate Farm
Greetings everyone.
I am researching my family history particularly my grandfather Hanley (or Andler)
Warrener.
I've obtained his death certificate which says he committed suicide on 3rd May 1920,
Bamber Bridge, Walton le Dale. Found in a pond in a field about 250 yards from Iron Gate Farm.

I've carried out a Google search on Iron Gate Farm and your interesting forum came up!

I'm trying to trace what happened and would be interested to hear from anyone recognises the names or can direct me to a local source of information.
I know that Andler/Hanley lived in Bamber Bridge and I'm trying to trace where he lived.
Does anyone know of a pond near Irongate which I presume is the site of the farm?
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
04-Aug-2011, 10:25 PM

Hi Barrie, welcome to the forum. Good luck with your enquiries.

Martin ~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-Aug-2011, 03:40 AM

Barrie:

Bamber Bridge and Walton-le-Dale are separated by a few miles. I have repeatedly tried to convince Google that Leyland isn't a suburb of Bamber Bridge, but without success.

My wife and I lived "in t' Brig" when we were first married. We rented a flat at 43 Duke Street, unusual in that it was brand-new construction specifically as a flat. They were in blocks of four, two upstairs units and two downstairs. I think there were four blocks on the street. Last time I was over, I drove by and it looked like they'd been sold off as individual homes.

Frank Damp

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
05-Aug-2011, 01:14 PM

Barrie,
Iron Gate Farm was on the south side of Brownedge Road, where it was crossed by Green Lane. It is shown on the 1st edition 25" O.S. map of 1891 as well as on the 1st edition 6" of 1844, although it is not named on the latter. The site is now covered by a modern roundabout where the main A6 road to Preston Crosses Brownedge Road.
The grid reference is SD 557259.
Regards
Derek Wilkins
05-Aug-2011, 03:29 PM

Brilliant Wilko!
Thank you very much!
This has given me something definite to work on. Smile

I'll look up the 1891 map and post the result
05-Aug-2011, 04:36 PM

I always wondered where the Iron Gate name for Bamber Bridge FC's ground came from.
06-Aug-2011, 09:56 AM

Barrie, various ponds and pits around the Iron Gate Farm area were very familiar to me as I grew up there from 1935 -1947 a number of years after the incident you mention.
I wish I had a pound for every time I caught the P20 from Preston to Tardy Gate which stopped at the farm gate or walked past there.
Its possible the original iron gate was replaced in the War when iron railings also were removed.
I may have described the area before- there was a high wall around the farm yard but I remember looking through the gate and seeing hens.
As one approached the 'Iron Gate' going towards Tardy Gate there was a foot-cycle pathway leading to Lostock Lane which diverged right through Lostock Fold -which was associated with Dewhursts Mill- into Lostock Lane -the path also could be taken to turn left into Bamber Bridge coming out near Cuerden.
About 2oo yds or so on the left of this foot path from Brownedge Rd was a pond where I used to go with my aunt -along with jam jar and net to catch tiddlers.
It was fairly small but my aunt said someone drowned there. However they used to say those things to warn you in those days.
The path then led across a brook which I always called the beginning of Dandie Brook leading to the River Lostock. The dragon flies were plentiful there and we used to splash around in the summer.
Pond number 2 was not far away from the Farm being up Green Lane across from the Farm Gate and to the right.
It was a bit more isolated than the other one and not far from Bluebell Wood.
There was another pit -not quite so nice near the Railway crossing in Brownedge Rd and across from the signal box -it was a breeding ground for frogs and 'bottomless' we were a bit more careful there.
The other bigger pit was across from St Marys on the site of what was the Iron Foundary -later Baxis. That was strictly forbidden by our parents and fenced off. I believe it is still there.
I can't remember any specific mention of a suicide but possibly the Lancashire Paper of the time had a mention of it.
The area has changed massively since the motorway was constructed and I can't recognise much of what was aroung the original farm house on the odd times I return but the Railway Crossing cottage is still there and looks attractive.
Some of my mums family lived for a time in Duke Street and I used to take clogs to a house there for new clog irons. Long Time Ago!!!!!
Good luck with your research.
06-Aug-2011, 10:16 AM

I haven't been able to find an 1891 map yet but I did put the
coordinates Wilko gave into Google earth and found that the
farm was located at the west end of the Bamber Bridge Football
club ground where the buildings are.
Does anyone know of on-line resources where I can find the 1891
map, and a local directory for about 1890/1920 so I can try to
trace where my grandfather lived and worked as an ostler (I think)

Thanks
06-Aug-2011, 01:14 PM

Barrie,
If you give me your email address I will send you the parts of both the 1844 and 1891 maps which show the farm. It is in the corner of one of the sheets and your will need the other three to see the locations of the ponds. Should you wish to buy the maps they are available on disc from http://www.digitalarchives.co.uk for around £30 each.
Further to Lynne's post, when the new A6 was built it was single carriageway and there was a pond on the west side just after Brownedge Rd where children were often seen fishing. When the road was doubled, about ten years ago, a new pond was dug and the wildlife and vegitation moved. The site of the old pond is now under the western carriageway. Derek Wilkins
06-Aug-2011, 07:26 PM

Lynne, what a charming reminiscence. Thank you for posting it.
It sounds very much like my childhood in the '50s and not a lot
like modern-day upbringings where health and safety have taken over.
Do you know which 'Lancashire Paper' I should look at?

Wilko, I'm having difficulty sending you my email but the Forum's Admin is looking into it.
I'll be in touch.

In the meantime can anyone point to an online resource for local newspapers.