Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Iron Gate Farm
06-Aug-2011, 08:12 PM

Hi Barrie,
My email address is derek.wilkins1@talktalk.net. I too have had problems emailing people through the forum and if you send me an email direct I will send the maps as a reply.
The likeliest newspaper is the Lancashire Daily Post (I think it was around then) The Preston Guardian is also worth trying. The only on-line source I am aware of is The Lancashire County Council web site but I think it only has nineteenth century papers and you need a Library ticket to access them.
Various local libraries hold copies, the most extensive being the Harris in Preston. I will have a look round when I get chance. An email enquiry to the Harris is worth a try. Since you have a precise date they MAY be prepared to do a search for you and send you a photocopy.
Lancashire Archives also has coroner's reports. They are closed until October but they are providing copies of documents on request (for a small charge) They are usually extremely helpful and it's worth a phone call.
Good Luck Derek
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-Aug-2011, 09:34 AM

Thanks Barrie and Derek-I do tend to go on a 'ramble'at times. There were so many details I could have added but maybe not [8D]
It would have been the Lancashire Daily Post then I would think-if the incident was mentioned at all.I have a copy somewhere of the paper from the 1922 Guild Year and the supplement that was issued on the 100 years celebration of the newspaper not sure of year -80's maybe. Frank would know.
Many archives are held in the County Offices Records Office I think where old school registers ,old documents and some parish records etc are kept-the buiding used to be across from Preston Railway Station. I went there when I was studying, to look at ancient books and documents not available in the Public Library.
The line between Walton Le Dale and Cuerden gets a bit blurred at times. I always thought that the end of Station Rd Bamber Bridge towards Preston was the beginning of Walton Le Dale going up towards Higher Walton.
Bluebell Wood I mentioned was a beautiful area of original woodland -bluebells ,wood anemones and clear spring water. It was fenced off but of course we went in.
Rambling again!
Good Luck.
07-Aug-2011, 10:54 AM

Keep on rambling Lynne!
Thanks for info.
I'm trying to do as much on-line now and come up to Bamber Bridge when
I've exausted that as I live in Dulwich.
Latest info is that after my grandfather's suicide my grandmother went
into service as the house-keeper to the game-keeper of Wentworth Woodhouse
which is a bijou little house near Doncaster/Rotherham

[Image: 167193_f1dd6ac6.jpg]
08-Aug-2011, 10:15 PM

Hi Barrie,
I was in Leyland library today and took the opportunity of looking for your folks in the trade directories of Preston and district for 1907 and 1926. Drew a bit of a blank I'm afraid - no mention of any Warrener, although a Mrs Mary Ann Warriner was living at 24 Tulketh Rd, Ashton. This doesn't neccessarily mean they weren't around, since only those people prepared to pay a fee were included. The electoral registers may prove more fruitful when Lancashire Archives reopens.
Iron Gate Farm was occupied by Thomas Marginson in 1907 and by Mary and Frank Sowerbutts in 1926.
Derek
09-Aug-2011, 12:51 AM

That was very kind of you Wilko!
I don't actually know that my grandfather Andler/Hanley Warrener
lived at Irongate Farm only that he committed suicide in a pond
250 yards from it according to a probate report.
I know that he was an ostler and that my father's birth certificate
says that he, Norton, was born in Bamber Bridge.
Andler was adopted and his adopted mother was Sarah Warrener.
His 'real' surname was Gray.
I'm off to do a little more research when I get time from work.
It becomes more intriguing as I go along.
My poor grandmother Maud, having just had her 3rd child, one of
whom was mentally disabled, and then, for whatever reason, her
51 year old husband departs this mortal coil of his own volition.
Life must have been very hard for her. Hence going into service.
I'm trying to find out what drove the poor fellow to it.
We shall see.
10-Aug-2011, 12:07 AM

In my searches I've come across this site for old maps that I'd like to pass on.
http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html
Click on the link above and then type in, say, Bamber Bridge.
On the right hand side you'll be offered a choice of dates of maps to view.
Brilliant site!
10-Aug-2011, 12:03 PM

A very useful site - thanks Barrie. I presume you are aware that Andler Warrener married Maud Richardson at Preston Registry Office in 1919. Does the certificate not give his address at the time?
10-Aug-2011, 08:29 PM

No I didn't Wilko.
This is not looking good.....
It appears that Maud married Andler in the 2nd quarter of 1919 and my father was born in October ( a premature birth I'm sure )
then in May 1920 Andler committed suicide )
What tragedy lurks in our ancestors.

I have established that he lived at Iron Gate Farm and I'm trying to see if there are any contemporary photographs of it.
Curiouser and curiouser.
11-Aug-2011, 12:03 PM

Barrie,
It may be worth trying the local library at Bamber Bridge - Leyland library has many old photos of Leyland
Good Luck
11-Aug-2011, 11:53 PM

A good idea! [Smile]
And I can search their pictures on-line.[Smile][Smile]
But I need the barcode from a library card [Sad!]
And the whole reason for doing it on-line is to save me a 200 mile journey [Sad][Sad]

If a kind resident of Bamber B / Leyland who has a library card and could lend me their library barcode number............?

Then maybe we'd be one step closer to working out this minor mystery