Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Iron Gate Farm
12-Aug-2011, 01:23 PM

Barrie,
If you send me the link I'll have a look for you and send anything on Iron Gate Farm.
The entry on the Lancs BMD web site shows that Maud gave two 'maiden names' on Norton's birth certificate. This suggests she had been married before- you should be able to check his out on Free BMD. Apologies if you already know this.
Derek
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
12-Aug-2011, 04:00 PM

I was interested in the given names -Andler as a surname has a coat of arms of German origin and Norton was not a particularly popular name -of Old English and West German origins.
It was close to the end of WW2 when Andler committed suicide -there must have been some very sad family stories at that time especially.
Wentworth Woodhouse is a great 'pile' Barrie, featured recently on 'Country House Revealed ' presented by Dan Cruikshank -chock full of history.
Fascinating stuff. I look forward to reading more.
12-Aug-2011, 10:23 PM

Lynne, you meant WW1 of course, not WW2. Your description of Iron Gate Farm and nearby places is accurate. I too remember the farm very well, and also Frank Sowerbutts and his family as mentioned by Derek. Their daughter, Kathleen, was one of my contemporaries attending school in Lostock Hall, and was, I suppose, in a small group of us who walked to the school daily. We neighbouring kids were sometimes allowed into the farmyard as a special privilege, and even a couple of times Frank let us watch the milking and see inside the dairy. It saddens me that it is all gone now since the expressway was built. The story about Barrie's grandfather is really very sad. It reminds me about another man who lived almost directly opposite the farm across Brownedge Road, and in the 1940s drowned himself in a pond within 15 minutes walking distance in the Green Lane direction, evidently too far away to be the one chosen by Andler.
13-Aug-2011, 08:50 AM

Apologies Black Five I did mean WW1 -I remember the Marginson name and the Sowerbutts.
Just wondered if there was a War connection especially with remarriages etc.
Cheers
13-Aug-2011, 01:05 PM

Lynne & Black Five,
I seem to remember a family called Marginson having a farm on the A49, on the edge of Cuerden Park - it's still there I think. If anyone knows the whereabouts of either the Marginson or Sowerbutts descendants, its just possible they may have a photo of Iron Gate for Barrie
13-Aug-2011, 03:57 PM

You are right about the farm in Cuerden-sadly I can't ask my uncle who was a close friend of a Marginson Fred????-in fact as recently as 10 years ago he came to see my uncle when he was very sick and living in Cuerden.
I get confused about some of the names of the farms in that area but some of my family lived on Meanygate in the early 1900's.
There are Marginsons buried in St Saviours church yard.
I will try to find out more.
There are also some very old photos of the area on the walls of the Hobb Inn.
Cheers
13-Aug-2011, 08:39 PM

Wasn't the bakery across from the Methodist Church on Turpin Green called Marginson's?

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
13-Aug-2011, 09:28 PM

Hello Folks!
Thank you for your input which is very much appreciated.
Lynne, I like your stories which are taking me off on a different path on my quest.
Can I ask you to put a bit of ‘meat on the bones ‘ by attaching some more dates to the names, stories and places, even if they are only rough estimates.
It may help me to tie in with names that I know.
Wilko, helpful as ever but............... I’ve lost the site for the library.
D’oh! I’ll keep searching and revert to you when I’ve found it.
I haven’t found out anything more in recent days and I’m suffering withdrawal symptoms!

I did come across this though...............

[Image: stock.jpg]

I believe it shows the entire police force of Bamber Bridge turning out and arresting all the rioters during the social unrest of five thirty pm on Tuesday 24th in 1870.
Is you grandpa one of them?

Have a good weekend all.
14-Aug-2011, 09:31 AM

Great photo -maybe some lessons there! They look quite happy and comfortable -and respectable.
The farm that comes to mind is where my father and uncle were born -in a farm cottage on a farm in 1911 and 1912.
It was along Lostock Lane on the Cuerden Gates side -a lane off to the right going towards Bamber Bridge. On records I have it was Banister Bank Farm.
My dad was still living there in 1934 when he married and used to take me there to see where he came from.
Cheers
14-Aug-2011, 12:22 PM

I think it was Waidsons Frank.