Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Iron Gate Farm
14-Aug-2011, 12:30 PM

Lynne,
I think the lane was called Nook Lane and it's now virtually swallowed up by B&Q. On the O.S. map the farm is named as 'Banastres at Bank'. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the name comes from the Banister family who at one time owned Bank Hall in Bretherton. Nook Lane met the A49 between Lostock Lane and Cuerden Gates Farm, just where Parker's tunnel started. I think that Marginson's farm was between Lostock Lane and Nook Lane, although I'm not sure.
Derek
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
14-Aug-2011, 04:32 PM

Derek:

I think Waidson's was on the same side as the Methodist Church closer to Balcarres Road. The one I'm thinking of was maybe a confectioner's rather than a baker's and took up a double shop-front between the bank on the corner of Hough Lane and the butcher's. It became Bob Barton's motorcycle dealership around 1955.

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
14-Aug-2011, 07:54 PM

Barrie,
I've looked on the library website and there are 31 images for Bamber Bridge, but sadly none for the farm. However 53 are listed for Leyland and I know for sure there are many more than that in the library filing cabinets.
When I get the chance I'll have a word with the guy who runs the Local Studies section and get his advice. (I think he also covers Bamber Bridge)
One thought, Why don't you ask the Lancashire Evening Post to publish a request for info and pics? I'm sure the 'human interst' aspect of Andler's suicide would get you a favourable response - they may even be able to locate a report on the inquest in their predecessor the Lancashire Daily Post.
Derek
15-Aug-2011, 10:43 AM

Nook Lane -quite right there.
Uncle's friend Fred? I think -Marginson was a lifelong friend of my uncle and attended his funeral.
I'll continue to search and see if I can contact a few very elderly relations re Iron Gate Farm.
Good luck.
I think the suggestion re contacting the newspaper is a great one.
17-Aug-2011, 01:44 PM

Barrie,
You may be interested to know that in the A to Z street guide of Preston and district, a short section of rosd, which seems to follow the line of the original Brownedge Rd, not far from where the farm was, still exists and is called Irongate. It's now part of a local network of cycle tracks.
I found a couple of books in the library which show Brownedge level crossing, taken not far from the farm. I'll email them later and maybe you can post one of them on the forum for Lynne's reaction.
17-Aug-2011, 03:52 PM

I look forward to the photos. Pity not many folk had cameras then.
The crossing man in the signal box must have often been tearing his hair out at times.
First he must have watched us very young kids playing round a deep and dangerous pit alongside the railway line -it was a brilliant place for frog studies and for testing the ice in the winter.
Then we would sometimes dash through the small gate at the side of the level crossing as he was just closing the crossing arms for the next train. I did it occasionally when trying to catch the bus at Iron Gate Farm as I could see the P20 coming round the corner from St Marys and knew it would have to wait for the train.
The Americans had a depot and base across from our house in Brownedge Rd and we would ofen see activity over there. I believe their waste was sent to what was then The Lostock Hall Continuation Hospital- now St Catherines- for pig feed.
At the end of the War they just seemed to vanish overnight. When they had gone we often explored the site. Found little though.
18-Aug-2011, 11:07 PM

So......................
My grandfather’s tale so far.
He was born Hanley Gray in 1869 in Askern, Yorks to Charlotte and the father is not recorded.
Hanley is recorded in the 1871 census as ‘nursing child’ living with Hannah and Samuel Warrener (Farmer 10 Acres) in Norton, Yorks. Samuel and Hannah had two other children.
The 1881 census records him as Andler, adopted son.
The 1891 census records him still in Norton but this time a ‘son’ ( Is this an indication of an increasing bond of love? )
Also an interesting point..... was ‘Andler’ a corruption of ‘Hanley’?
In common speech the H would have vanished and the accent Lancastrians enjoy tends to pronounce ‘ley’ as ‘ leh’ or ‘ler’. The end of a syllable ending in ‘n’ often has a clumsy ‘d’ inserted, witness by the number of people who think my name is ‘Warrender’ rather than ‘Warrener’.
Fanciful? Perhaps. It’s a trait that runs in the family.
Andler married the 39 year old Emily Birkby in 1909 when he was 40. They divorced on a date as yet unknown (Divorce was serious stuff in those days! I wonder what happened? )
Emily was recorded in the 1911 census ( no trace of Andler ) as living with her father, a retired blacksmith at 113, The Avenue, Harrowgate, Yorks. The house is still there and viewable on Google streetmap. There are no recorded children and no trace of Andler on the 1911 census.
Andler (a farmer) married Maud Richardson (b 1888 d c.1975) who was my grandmother in June 1919. Maud was a widow and had two children by her previous husband. The marriage certificate records them both as living at Iron Gate Farm. Rather touchingly they named my father Norton, the place where he was brought up – hence my remark about a bond of love. Norton was born in October 1919.
Andler then committed suicide in a pond 250 yards from Iron Gate Farm in June 1920. He left £900 plus and probate was granted to Maud.
Maud never told any of the family about the true manner of her husband’s death. We knew he was drowned and there was talk of murder, possibly by travelling people with whom he may have fallen out with over horse trading. We were always told he was an ostler rather than the farmer he was recorded as on his marriage certificate. Hannah Warrener, Andler’s adopted mother was always referred to as a kind woman. Allegedly, a rich woman wearing fine clothes and expensive jewellery came to Hannah’s door asking to see Andler but was sent away and told in no uncertain terms not to come back. I told you we Warrener’s are a fanciful lot as Charlotte Gray was much more likely to be a maid who got into trouble and have had to give up her child rather than a rich woman who suffered an indiscretion and was trying to protect her family’s honour which was my dear Father’s favoured story. There were lots of other tales about what a wonderful man Andler was and I truly believe that my father didn’t know what really happened to him.

More to come I’m sure.
19-Aug-2011, 01:40 PM

No Audrey I did not.
Please resend to bwarrener@btiternet.com

Thanks
Barrie
19-Aug-2011, 02:34 PM

Lynne and Barrie,
I've e-mailed the three pictures to Barrie and maybe he'll post them on the forum (afraid I don't know how to). They're from two books which should be in BB library. 'Bamber Bridge in Times Past'by Bob Burns and 'Days Gone by in Bamber Bridge' by S. Gregson & E. M. Waterfield. I'm sure you'll find them interesting. Bob Burns was a painter & decorator in BB in 1988 and apparently had a large collection of photos. Do you know if he'ws still around? - he may have one of the farm.
Derek
20-Aug-2011, 12:17 AM

quote:

Originally posted by audpluswesties

I sent the original via your profile on the forum but it obviously didn't go through. [Sad]
Good luck with your continued research. [Smile]

Received thanks, but as I mentioned Wilk I've lost the library site I was looking at. D'oh!
Barrie