teenagers whilst waiting for the Chorley bus
last year ... no security and just one youngish
couple sitting on a bench who didn't lift their
heads!

T. D.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-Dec-2011, 07:12 PM

Dreadful Karen what happened? Did they harm you?
07-Dec-2011, 09:16 PM

I was lucky .. I remembered to stay calm, not talk, not look them in the eye, backed off and put on the old lady shuffle till I was beyond the couple ... the kids noticed them and turned and sauntered
back to the bay where they had been hanging earlier.
The bus came just then ... the couple got on the same bus but got off in Fishergate ... they were not risking staying there either.
I told the driver and he told me to avoid all bus stations after dark!

T. D.
08-Dec-2011, 12:53 PM

You were lucky. Avoid certain parts of Preston altogether after dark Karen. Unfortunately that could happen anywhere in Preston sad but true. Think of the late night bus drivers over here, who would want to be one?
08-Dec-2011, 05:38 PM

how times have changed, I used to travel through the old bus station in the late 50s and early 60s no trouble or fears, it`s a sad statement of the times.

djh
09-Dec-2011, 04:24 AM

What about security patrols? If it's really that dangerous, there should be anti-loitering ordinances, video surveillance (staffed at the montors, not just recorded) with rapid response call-out of security personnel to offer some protection for passengers and to apprehend the loiterers.

A few arrests for attempted assault or affray might make it safer by frightening the louts away. At our station in Mount Vernon WA, security is on duty until after the last service of the day departs.

The only other thing that would make that concrete monstrosity anywhere near worth saving would be a major remodel, firstly to eliminate all the tunnels and keep passengers above ground, but without letting them walk out onto the bus operating apron and secondly to put in angled platforms so the buses don't need to back up before departing.

At Mount Vernon, we have ten angled stalls on a single island (five each side) and our schedules are such that there are no back-ups. The layout could be doubled or tripled. We have specific crosswalks wher the buses have to stop to let passengers cross. It works well. Everett, 40 miles south of Mount Vernon, has three strips of platforms each with 8 stalls per side. It's a much bigger hub, including commuter rail service to Seattle, express bus service (Greyhound) and two different airport commuter bus systems - one to Seattle and one to Vancouver BC.

If people still want a city center bus station with no direct connection to rail, then a remodel might work.

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
09-Dec-2011, 06:34 AM

I visited it again in July and I thought what a tacky, ugly building. Its an eyesore and if i lived back in Preston i would be glad to get shut of it. It has a sleazy feel to it and i wouldn;t like to be there at night. sandy
11-Dec-2011, 12:05 PM

It was in the LEP last week that the bus station had finished 2nd in the BDP poll only to a campus building in York. Anyhow, it is obviously revered around the country !
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/the-norther...6/blogpost

The link to the BDP is here if you should be interested.

http://placebook.bdp.com/about

There are some pretty impressive buildings in its wake !!!

It would seem that the few on here who want to save it are not alone !
http://placebook.bdp.com/1960s/preston-b...n#comment-
11-Dec-2011, 12:39 PM

In fact, its gone Global !!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15180978
11-Dec-2011, 06:34 PM

All those people around the country who revere it ....
don't have to use it!!!

There must be a reason why there are only two of these
architecural delights! ... What is it they say about
imitation and flattery?!!

T. D.