Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Preston Bus Station
11-Dec-2012, 04:17 PM

The Council have finally decided it's too expensive to run and would cost a great deal to refurbish, so it will be demolished. 20 years to late IMO. They say they'll build a smaller one in the same general area.

I hope they've learned what not to do in the design of the replacement - no underground tunnels, platforms from which buses can pull out without the need to reverse and properly controlled crossings with traffic lights so pedestrians can cross in safety. Good security, manned full time whenever the station is open is important too, with hard crackdowns on troublemakers and vandals.

While the demolition is going on and the replacement is being built, there'll be a lot of congestion with the buses stopping on the streets.

I was surprised by the poll in the LEP, where 65% of the responders didn't want it demolished. I suspect a lot of responders have never used the place, except maybe the car park.

Frank Damp

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
11-Dec-2012, 04:43 PM

I'm not surprised (by the vote) Frank, it seems the local politicians in power want to get rid, plebs like me and everyone I know locally want it to remain. They claim it's costing £300k a year to subsidise it. Millions to knock it down and rebuild, ignoring the loss of over 300 parking places and the revenue from them. I'm appalled quite frankly, there must be another less costly way surely.
12-Dec-2012, 06:31 PM

My take is that it would probably cost more to update it to make it safe and attractive than it will to demolish it and start again. A bus station needs to be airy, well lit, and open, with clearly visible snd strong security and no places for the yobs to hide.

It also needs to be safer for the drivers - no backing up. I also don't see a need for retail to be part of the mix - it didn't work the first time around. A parking garage tower could be built somewhere else and could be a stand-alone structure. I don't understand the habit of always making them part of another development.

Even in its earliest days, I never felt safe walking through the tunnels and avoided it whenever feasible. After Starchouse Square and the Fishwick's faility on Fox Street were closed, there wan't much option. My main exposure to the place was transferring between the Warton works services and the 109/111 buses. If I went into Preston shopping, I'd get off at the railway station going in and catch the return there too (outside Debenhams in later years).

Knocking it down shouldn't cost more than half a million. A few hundred pounds of dynamite, a fleet of dump trucks and front-end loaders and they should have it gone in a couple of months.

Good riddance as far as I'm concerned, but then I'm 5000 miles away! As the saying goes "I don't have a dog in this fight".

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
12-Dec-2012, 08:15 PM

I agree with you re the tunnels Frank, scary enough in the day time. Despite you and Sandra hating it many Prestonians regard it as an icon, something people actually come into the city to have a look at, I mean when did anyone go down to say Manchester to look at Picadilly bus station?
14-Dec-2012, 03:25 AM

OMG I find it hard to beleive that people actually come to look at it. I still state that it is an architectural disaster there is nothing aesthetically pleasing about it. Its Ugly and definitely eerie. I say jolly good riddance
14-Dec-2012, 10:07 AM

Well if we all thought the same where would we be? Thank heaven for opinions.
14-Dec-2012, 02:18 PM

Take the survey

http://www.lep.co.uk/news/survey-have-your-say-on-preston-bus-station-1-5218300

Martin ~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-Dec-2012, 02:44 PM

The comments on there are roughly 50-50, some dreadful spelling and grammar though. Somebody wants to keep it because Fearne Cotton and Jamelia walked in it, wow. £15 million they reckon to build a new one. And as one writer cynically put, "someone's friend will be paid to knock it down and someone's friend paid to build a new one."
Umm..I wonder.
15-Dec-2012, 03:06 AM

How about the people who actually live here and just so happen to love it ! The comments on here against it are predominantly ex pat ( Down South included ) Hey ex Lancs folks ! We love it and we also know that the right money could have perked it up instead of the council just letting it rot ! What a shame I say ! Feel free to comment on any other landmarks that you may remember from many decades ago that you thought were **** but then moved away ! Personally, I think it is a travesty !
15-Dec-2012, 08:56 AM

Fair comment Phil and i do so agree. We expats have opinions but we don't live there any more and you guys do. Hope the outcome suits you all in the end.