Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mr. Fletcher's bleach works, Leyland
16-Nov-2011, 11:59 PM
Mr. Fletcher's bleach works, Leyland
Hello everyone. I have joined this list because much of my maternal side of the family, the Nelsons (Neilsons if you go back far enough) are from Leyland and I am researching them. I have just found this little snippet from the Preston Chronicle dated September 12 1840. The person referred to, Robert Nelson, is the brother of my great x 3 grandfather, Thomas.

quote:

DREADFUL AND FATAL ACCIDENT.- On Monday last, an inquest was taken at Leyland, before M. Palmer, coroner, on the body of Robert Nelson, a young man about nineteen years of age. It appears in evidence that the young man was a bleacher, at Mr. Fletcher's bleach works, Leyland, and that on the Friday preceeding he was leaning through a window, when the framework gave way, and he was precipitated into a pool of boiling water. The unfortunate man was extricated in about a minute and a half, but he was then dreadfully scalded. He lingered in great agony until early on Monday morning, when he expired. Verdict, "Accidental Death."

Some questions I hope you knowledgeable folks will be able to answer:

1) Does anyone know of Mr. Fletcher's bleach works mentioned in the article?
2) If so, where was it situated? Any other info?
3) Is it possible that the coroners report still exists inn the Lancs Record Office?

Thanks and regards,

Charlie O'Donnell
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
17-Nov-2011, 04:25 AM

Charlie:

As far as I'm aware, there was only one Bleach Works in Leyland. I don't remember the name "Fletcher" being associated with it. It was "Stannings" when I lived in Leyland (1941-1965). We moved to the midlands then and emigrated to the US in 1968.

The Bleach Works was on the fringe of what became the Council Housing estate known as Broadfield. An old OS map I have, dated 1909 shows the location of the works as I remember it.It's due west of the Ship Inn, which was the kink in the road where Towngate became Water Street. It was accessed via Cow Lane, which went from Towngate, near the Cross, across the fields through what is now all housing, eventually joining Golden Hill a short distance west of its junction with School Lane.

In modern Leyland street names (going from 45 year-old memory) the works stood (maybe still stands) just west of the cross roads where Haig Avenue reaches Broadfield Drive. The street opposite Haig Avenue goes into the Bleach Works' location.

I'm sure current Leyland residents will correct me if I misnamed the streets.

BTW, I'm not up in the wee hours of the 17th. For me, it's 19:30 on the 16th (US Pacific Time)

Frank Damp

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
17-Nov-2011, 08:43 AM

I lived in woodlands drive next door to Peter Harris in the 60s, on opposite side of broadfield drive at the junction with woodlands drive was John Stannings bleachers and dyers and Robinsons market gardeners, my father in law Billy Smith was the boilerman then at Stannings until it was demolished by Taylors demolition to build a large housing estate by Derek Barns, also the large catholic church was built in the same area, hope this helps. There was a number of Nelsons in the Leyland area, my manager in the Spurrier engine shop was Frank Nelson his father was a neighbour of mine when I lived on Dunkirk lane Mossside and Frank lived in a bungalow in Langton Close when I lived there years later.

djh
17-Nov-2011, 10:11 AM

Hello again, and thanks for these replies! In particular response to audpluswesties - thank you for the LOPC info and also thanks for the offer of looking in the LRO for me, but thats a particular pleasure I want for myself! To tell the truth I have never been in the LRO yet and I plan to do that probably in the New Year, when all my current hustle and bustle is over.

Dave H - The first Leyland Nelsons of this branch began with Robert Nelson (Neilson) Snr (the fellow in the article is Jnr) who was born in Leith and moved to Lancashire very early in the 19th century or late 18th - LOPC list him as being married at St.John's Preston in 1802. He operated (owned?) the Rose Whittle Smithy on what is now Euxton Lane near Back Lane. I say 'owned?' with a question mark, because I believe that much of the land in that area may have been owned by the Healds and he may have been a tenant. That's another puzzle I need to work out. Anyway, he's buried in St.Andrew's churchyard.
17-Nov-2011, 04:47 PM

Hope everything goes well for you charlie.

djh
18-Nov-2011, 02:26 PM

The bleach works was known to generations of Leylander's as Stannings. It was establihed at Shruggs by James Fletcher around 1837 and was taken over by John Stanning and Son in 1871.
DW
03-Dec-2011, 04:35 PM

Thanks very much for your help everyone. I have started a blog http://odonnell-nelson.tumblr.com/ all about my ancestors and one of my first postings is about this incident.
04-Dec-2011, 07:08 PM

Charlie,
Just been reading your blog. The descendants of the Nelson's who were blacksmiths at Rose Whittle's had a smithy on Dunkirk Lane for many years. It is still standing and is a bed and breakfast establisment
DW
05-Dec-2011, 01:40 AM

Used to take our ponies to the smithy on
Dunkirk Lane many years ago.
A friend from Wales stays at the B&B when
he's on business in Lancashire.
He works for Massey tractors.

T. D.
05-Dec-2011, 11:37 AM

I think the smithy is where Noel MK2 lived for a while as well.