Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mr. Fletcher's bleach works, Leyland
02-Dec-2012, 11:32 PM

I have not visited this site for quite some time now but after reading this topic thought to add a few words.
My first job was at Stannings bleach works, I started at the age of 15 (August 1966 after leaving school)I worked in the croft where they bleached the cloth. it closed down and we were all redunded at Christmas 1967.

Bill
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
20-Jan-2013, 08:30 PM

Hi Charlie, picking up on your post from a while ago - we too are related to Robert Neilson who came from Scotland to Rose Whittle however we have him coming from Dumfries not Leith. Wondering if you are still actively using this forum if we could swap info/details etc. Thanks, Ali B
Quote this message in a reply
20-Jan-2013, 10:30 PM

On the subject of the smithy my close friend, another Harrison (Kenny) was the blacksmith owner of the smithy when I lived up dunkirk, he taught me to make horse shoes and shoe horses at his smithy in return I taught him Gas welding and I drove him to some of his horse shoeing jobs around lancashire,he was an excellent farrier and blacksmith.

djh
Find all posts by this user
21-Jan-2013, 06:30 AM

When on a trip from Boeing, I visited Dad and Jean at their flat opposite the church on Slater Lane. I was on a Virgin Atlantic business class ticket which included chauffeur service to Gatwick. The chauffeur had stayed at the B&B at the old smithy, having dropped another passenger off somewhere in Leyland the afternoon before.

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
Find all posts by this user