Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Prized Leyland engine comes home
15-Mar-2012, 01:23 PM
Prized Leyland engine comes home
SPECTACULAR plans to turn a prized piece of Leyland engineering into a national landmark have been unveiled.

A fully-operational 1938 Leyland TL fire engine, which is the last surviving of only two ever made with a cab, was discovered on the internet by South Ribble Borough Council, who enlisted the help of local businessman Martin Ainscough, who agreed to snap up the engine so it could be brought home.

Now the council hopes to secure a high profile site and planning permission close to the M6, so the engine can be displayed in a glass case on an elevated platform to ensure it is visible on a main route into Leyland.

The engine has been affectionately named “Norma” by council employees, who were astounded when they went to pick her up and she started up first time, despite having been mothballed in a garage for 30 years! The distinctive red engine, which came complete with a 100ft turntable ladder and original accessories, was made in Leyland and served in Morecambe during the Second World War.

It also served at Blackpool Pleasure Beach and Whitley Bay, before being rescued from a scrap yard by a private collector in 1982. South Ribble Borough Council had been on the lookout for a new gateway feature for Leyland, following the success of the Centurion Tank on Flensburg Way, which was also donated by Mr Ainscough.

A council employee spotted Norma on the internet in February, and she is now back home and being looked after by experts from the British Commercial Vehicle Museum in King Street.

Councillor Phil Smith, South Ribble Borough Council’s cabinet member with responsibility for regeneration, leisure and healthy communities, said: “Our first ‘Made in Leyland’ gateway feature – the Centurion Tank – has become a landmark and a tourist feature. We have been searching for our next one ever since.

“This fire engine is the last of its kind. ‘Norma’ celebrates the great people and industry of Leyland, the engineers who made her and our proud heritage. The fact that the engine fired up first time after all these years speaks volumes.

“Thanks once again to Martin Ainscough, who has bought the engine for the people of Leyland after donating the tank to us 18 months ago. I hope Norma will become a national landmark and really put Leyland on the map. It’s important to remember that it’s early days as we still need to identify a site and secure planning permission, but it’s all very exciting.”

Chairman of the Ainscough Group, Mr Martin Ainscough said: “I’m delighted to be involved in another project to celebrate our town’s unrivalled manufacturing heritage. This is a masterpiece of Leyland engineering, and the only one of its kind left, so we’re very lucky to have been able to save it and bring it back to where it belongs. I think it will be a wonderful attraction for Leyland
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
15-Mar-2012, 08:40 PM

A tribute to leyland engineering, Tell Bruce.

djh
16-Mar-2012, 02:44 AM

I remember Leyland Fire Department having an engine, a Leyland of course, that was named after someone significant (but can't remember who - may have been Thomas Hargreaves), commemorated by a cast bronze nameplae on the side of the bonnet. It had a silver-coloured bonnet and might have been on a Lynx chassis. It was a major participant in the fire at the Tomlinson sawmill at Eden Streeat and what is now St. Andrew's way around 1951.

I think it was an open cab machine. Anyone else remember, and maybe have a photo?

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
16-Mar-2012, 08:40 AM

Anyone know how to put photos on the Forum? I have a couple of photos which will give you all a sneak preview.
16-Mar-2012, 10:27 AM

Jo you can link to photos on the web.

Martin ~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-Mar-2012, 01:45 PM

Well done to all concerned.
DW
16-Mar-2012, 02:07 PM

If the pictures are not on the web, I can load them for you if you email them to me.

Martin ~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-Mar-2012, 10:20 PM

Martin I will send you photos when I am back at work on Monday. Cheers
19-Mar-2012, 12:03 PM

Martin can you send your email address please?
19-Mar-2012, 07:51 PM

This engine is the only one left now
Two were made in 1938
They were special because they had a cab and the metz 103 foot ladder
The other one died due to neglect but this one survived and lived in durham for +30 years