Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parking charges frozen in South Ribble
MOTORISTS will not have to pay even a penny more to park in South Ribble Borough Council car parks in 2012-13.

The council is freezing car parking prices for the coming year as part of its budget-setting process, to help support local businesses and encourage more people to shop locally.

It means that pay-and-display charges for South Ribble car parks will remain among the cheapest in Lancashire.

People can pay just 50p for up to two hours of parking, 80p for up to three hours, £1.50 for up to four hours and £3 for up to five hours at the following council-owned car parks:

· King Street, Leyland

· Sumner Street, Leyland

· Ecroyd Street, Leyland

· Churchill Way, Leyland

· Hope Terrace, Lostock Hall

Parking is free for up to one hour at a number of specially designated blue bays at the Churchill Way, Ecroyd Street, Sumner Street and Hope Terrace car parks.

In addition, the council provides free parking at a number of car parks in the borough, including Bamber Bridge, Penwortham, Higher Walton and Walton-le-Dale.

Councillor Peter Mullineaux, South Ribble Borough Council’s Cabinet member for Neighbourhoods and Street Scene, said: “We’ve kept our parking charges at their present low level as part of our efforts to help local shops and traders as much as we can. We also introduced temporary free parking during the run-up to Christmas for the first time in South Ribble last year, and it proved to be very successful.

“I believe our parking prices offer exceptionally good value for money, especially compared with many of the tariffs charged elsewhere in Lancashire, and I hope the low charges will attract more shoppers into South Ribble and help to boost the local economy.”

Tom Booth, who chairs Leyland Town Centre Business Group, said: “The free parking over Christmas was a big hit with local businesses and let us compete with out of town shopping centres where free car parks are standard. The decision not to increase charges in Leyland is a good step into 2012 and we’d welcome any further free parking initiatives in the future.”
Love politics and council PR.

Council tax went up the charges were in that but thanks for the info!
The car park charges stop me shopping in the centre. I'm sure many people feel the same.
According to that Portas link the council have provided free parking all year round ? Where is the free parking all year round apart from on the streets that allow parking ? If the Portas thing is to work then you need to ask yourself one question " How much do supermarkets charge shoppers to park on their car parks " ?
Absolutely Phil - I've given up trying to park anywhere around Hough Lane
DW
quote:

Originally posted by Wilko

Absolutely Phil - I've given up trying to park anywhere around Hough Lane
DW

If driving I always use the free one next to McDonalds etc.

Good job it exists or all shopping would be done at the places with free parking like Tesco's or Morrisons.

The free ones that do exist are (I think) near the Vehicle museum but I never go and see just head directly to where I know they will be.

Personally and although a lot of business blame the lack of free parking for the town centre failure I think it's more down to choice available and when shops like Hyde's Toy shop go and even a hairdressers moves to Chorley "so it can expand" I think even Mary Portas will struggle to come up with a solution.