Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teenager ‘pays back’ community
A TEENAGER has welcomed the chance to give something back to the community after he fell foul of South Ribble Borough Council’s crackdown on dog control.

Jack Gelder, aged 15, from Leyland, was spotted by a Police Community Support Officer allowing the family pet to foul the street near his home.

Rather than imposing a fine on the family, Jack was offered the chance to work with South Ribble Borough Council to tackle grot spots around the town.

Both Jack and his mum, Julie, thought it was an excellent idea and a very positive way of dealing with the matter. The teenager spent a full morning, from 7.30am until lunchtime, working with the council’s local neighbourhood team. He carried out litter-picking around the town, including Worden Park and local housing estates.

He was also briefed about issues such as health and safety, risk assessment and dealing with people, and gained some valuable work experience during his four-and-a-half hour stint with the council.

Jack, who was spotted allowing his dog to foul a street earlier this year, said: “I’d cleaned up after my dog earlier so I didn’t have any bags left. I really enjoyed doing the litter pick and didn’t want to stop when it finished.”

The council has adopted a zero tolerance approach to dog fouling and any owners seen failing to clean up after their pets are handed a Fixed Penalty Notice of £75.

Councillor Peter Mullineaux, South Ribble Borough Council’s cabinet member for neighbourhoods and street scene, said: “Dog fouling is not acceptable in South Ribble, and owners must take responsibility for their pets whatever their circumstances.

“Our residents have told us that dog fouling is one of their biggest concerns and we have vowed to crack down on this problem, which is why we introduced the zero tolerance approach.

“I’m pleased that Jack was willing to put something back into the community by spending a morning litter-picking. He threw himself enthusiastically into the task, which was a great experience for him, and I hope he’s learned a valuable lesson for the future.”
Well done Jack but carry more than one bag with you next time.!! They don't take up much space.
quote:

Originally posted by noel

Well done Jack but carry more than one bag with you next time.!! They don't take up much space.

Guessing, like me, you suspect the "I ran out of bags excuse" was just that and said after being caught Smile

Restorative Justice does work as Jack proves, more please.
Yes quite Andy. There's a guy who comes on the "triangle field" at Lostock Hall, by the double bridges. He never has any bags. If you point out his dog has just done something in the grass, "oh I've just used my last bag, do you have a spare one?". It's a standard joke with the rest of us. Hope he's reading this.