Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best Ever Beer Festival
MORE than 1,500 people flocked to this year’s Leyland Beer and Wine Festival, making it the biggest and best since the event started.

The festival, held at the British Commercial Vehicle Museum, was a roaring success and all the proceeds will be donated to local charities.

Visitors were able to sample from a selection of more than 50 real ales and beers, continental lagers and ciders, and most of the beer barrels had run dry by the time the four-day festival closed.

Among the ales on tap was a special beer to mark this year’s Preston Guild, which is being produced by the city’s Hart Brewery. A festival competition to name the beer was won by Graham Preston from Penwortham, who came up with the title ‘Guild SSA’ (Special Strong Ale).

The festival’s wine section featured around 20 wines from around the world and was sponsored this year by Waitrose, who also provided experts giving wine tasting talks and advice.

Mayor of South Ribble, Councillor Jim Marsh, officially opened the festival, and the museum was decked out with bunting to celebrate the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee and the Preston Guild.

Councillor Peter Mullineaux, Deputy Leader of South Ribble Borough Council, said: “This year’s beer and wine festival proved to be really popular, with people coming from far and wide. I’m sure it helped to attract some new visitors to the museum and the festival also raised a five figure sum for local charities.

“We’re very grateful to everyone who helped to organise this year’s festival, especially Waitrose, who came on board as a sponsor for the first time, and I’d also like to thank all the other sponsors for their support.”

Festival sponsors this year were: Waitrose, Community Cinemas, Direct Asset Management, Solicitors Direct, Progress Plus, Press Electrical, B & D Print, Robin Oatridge, Goldseal Tradeline, Ainscough Holdings Ltd, Leyland Market, Leyland Leader, C & W Berry, Fishwick Buses, Roccoco, Brian Pilkington and Tobermore.
Waitrose are having contributing to local community welfare, my wife's cub and scout group being one of the beneficiaries.