Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Talks over Chapel Brow eyesore
TALKS are taking place over the demolition of an eyesore building which has lain derelict for almost three years.

The former Shadh’s Takeaway, in Chapel Brow, Leyland, has been fenced off after a sewer near the building collapsed in July 2009. New owners have now bought the property and are in discussions with South Ribble Borough Council about securing permission to knock it down.

The council is waiting for the demolition contractors to provide information about exactly how they intend to carry out the work while ensuring the safety of neighbours and members of the public. The owners have indicated they wish to build a new takeaway in its place, and said they hope to submit a formal planning application in the coming weeks.

The sewer was repaired relatively quickly after the initial incident, but the partly-collapsed takeaway remained boarded up as discussions continued between the property’s previous owners and their insurance company. The site was repeatedly broken into and vandalised during this time, much to the concern of the council, nearby residents and businesses.

Councillor Cliff Hughes, South Ribble Borough Council’s cabinet member with responsibility for Strategic Planning and Housing, said: “This has gone on for far too long already, and while I’m very relieved that we’re finally seeing some progress, I’m certainly not going to get carried away at this stage.

“I will need to be assured that everything is in place to carry out this work properly and safely, so we can rid Leyland of this blot on its landscape for good. I’d like to thank our ward councillors for their continuing patience, perseverance and support in this matter, and I hope to be able to give the long-suffering residents of the surrounding area some overdue good news soon.”
New take-away. That will add to the so-called cafe culture that the so-called redevelopment of Chapel Brow was intended for won't it!
It's taken a long time Jo, any action would be better than none.
This one is back in the news again. They have started work on the foundations. Gripping stuff.
Martin ~
The place to be is Leyland!
Chapel Brow is a shithole ! Sleepy
Why do you always beat about the bush? Why not come out and say what you really mean.
Be very careful what you wish for. TongueSmile
Jim
Interesting reading about Chapel Brow , I worked there for many years in the design offices of B & R Taylor on the second and third floors of what used to be the co-op ( and prior to that in their previous offices on Sandy Lane ) . It's some time since I was in both areas , so I appreciate the update postings . There used to be an excellent Italian restraunt on Chapel Brow . The walls of our home in Walmer Bridge were covered with wallpaper purchased from Maurice Brooks's shop. At the top of the hill was the photographic shop of Francis turner ( prior to moving there his premises were near Booths grocers) ,and when based there Francis took our wedding photographs in Aug 1962 at the Parish church Leyland. I distinctly recall his unusual and remarkable offer of - " If you don't like my photographs ,you don't need to have them " !
I wonder how many customers took him at his word , who would not want their once in a lifetime wedding photographs ?
Alan:

The studio above the shops on Towngate, near where Booth's went in, were those of the original Francis Turner. He was of the same generation as my father (born early 1910's). Our family's hardware store was just a block away to the south.

His son (maybe Francis Junior) opened the shop at the top of Chapel Brow, which was a clothes shop and was the only place to buy Balshaw's uniforms for both boys and girls (Monopolies Commission, anyone?) when I first went to the school.

Last time we were in Leyland is was still "Francis Turner" but I'm not sure it's still in the family.

My aunt and uncle (Lloyd and Mabel Roberts) had a haberdashery opposite the Co-op. Auntie Mabel ran the shop, with help from other family members, and Uncle Lloyd gave piano and violin lessons in their living quarters above. Until the late 1950s, that stretch of Chapel Brow was cobbled, and all the shops had recurring damage when the cobble-stones were loosened and then thrown through the shop windows by passing buses. It's a bit different now!

Of course, the "elephant in the parlour" was the gas works. Why it was located there always puzzled me. My in-laws had a greengrocers just up Hough Lane (number 90) from the Turpin Green/Chapel Brow junction , and Eileen still remembers dusting specks of coke off the furniture in their living quarters.

Last time we were in Leyland, I almost got lost round there!
Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.