Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Talks over Chapel Brow eyesore
31-Jul-2013, 05:53 AM
RE: Talks over Chapel Brow eyesore
Frank, I well recall that upstairs studio and the narrow stairs leading to it . the end shop on the block ,almost next to your family hardware store , the small market was opposite , I think that it became a restraunt (Lancastrian ?) in later years (a good one too! ).
Perhaps ten years ago I called in the new shop to purchase something and I mentioned our wedding photo's , Francis jnr. told me that he always retained the negatives should I want additional photographs !

That a specific store had a monopoly on uniforms, was common practice , I recall when I went to Preston Technical college and our sons all went to Hutton Grammar we had to purchase uniforms exclusively from Lingards . I don't remember the haberdashery shop..
Was there a proposal to make Chapel brow traffic free ,has that occurred ?
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
31-Jul-2013, 08:51 AM
(31-Jul-2013 05:53 AM)Alan Marsden Wrote:  Was there a proposal to make Chapel brow traffic free ,has that occurred ?

One way Alan.
31-Jul-2013, 12:04 PM
(31-Jul-2013 08:51 AM)noel Wrote:  
(31-Jul-2013 05:53 AM)Alan Marsden Wrote:  Was there a proposal to make Chapel brow traffic free ,has that occurred ?

One way Alan.

It's been going one way for quite sometime now !! The area is going downwards whilst the traffic is going upwards ! Wink
31-Jul-2013, 01:03 PM
Oh thou cynical one!

Tongue
31-Jul-2013, 08:58 PM
The haberdashery shop which became Francis Turners was called Buxtons, my aunt Frances Mann worked there for many years untill it became the photo shop. It was a shop that had every thing from neddles and thread to all manner of clothing. Yes it was the shop to get Balshaws uniform at that time the only Leyland school with a recognised uniform. I too had my wedding photos taken by Turners in 1971 at the time they offered a new consept, colour photography.
01-Aug-2013, 02:48 PM
I wonder what's the co-op building presently used for = last tome i saw it the ground level was a music shop, but there are also two floors above that . Also what we used to call the 'white house' opposite Francis turners shop at the entrance to the coalyard .
01-Aug-2013, 03:07 PM
Frank H:

Thanks for reminding me of the name, Buxton's. My aunt's shop was on the east corner of the street directly opposite the co-op. next door to a green-grocery.

Frank Damp
01-Aug-2013, 10:40 PM
Above Rimmers music shop ( Old Co-op/ electric board as I think it once was ) they have rooms for music lessons, drums, guitars and keyboards etc !
17-Aug-2013, 04:06 AM
I worked in the Gas Works back in the 70's, it was used for parking up Mainlayers vans and housed the lab for calibrating large volume meter pressure and temperature mechanical correction equipment (before electronic correctors came in). Fascinating place.
17-Aug-2013, 10:12 AM
It's not as fascinating now Peter, the gas has been turned into fast food. Rolleyes

Martin ~
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user