Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Thomas Platt, Cricketer of this Parish
30-May-2012, 08:59 PM
Thomas Platt, Cricketer of this Parish
Hello folks,

A person has cropped up in my family tree by the name of Thomas Platt who is listed in the 1901 census as 'Professional Cricketer', born Farrington in 1876. He lived at the Smithy on Dunkirk Lane with his wife Catherine Platt nee Nelson (my mothers line are the Nelsons). In the 1911 census he is listed as 'Labourer, Cricket Club' and lived at 46 Union Street, Leyland. I would imagine it is a safe bet that he must have played / worked for the local club. I have tried 'googling' his name, but can't come up with anything. Of course, he may have been economical with the truth in 1901 when he put down professional cricketer - I just don't know!

Does anyone have any more info? (Btw: I have already e-mailed Leyland CC and I am awaiting a response)

Any information or leads you may be able to supply would be most welcome.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
31-May-2012, 12:31 AM

Think he must have been father to Jack Platt
who had a smithy at the bottom end of Union St.
AKA Fox Lane.
There was a thread about him not too long ago on
the forum but I can't remember where.
Come on guys ... think!! [Big Grin]

T. D.
31-May-2012, 04:06 PM

Being a bit picky, Karen, but it was Union Street only dfrom the junction at the Cross to the Cricket Club or just a bit further. From there on west it was Fox Lane. The Union Street name for the top end of the street was dropped maybe in the 1920s.

Would he be in the family tree of the Platts who lived on Westgate? Sheila was in my years at school and her younger sister Kathleen was a close friend of my wife.

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
05-Jun-2012, 07:26 PM

Thanks all for your help. I'll make sure that I do that search. Still no reply from Leyland CC though.
05-Jun-2012, 08:31 PM

Shouldn't hold your breath waiting for them to reply charlie, the part time staff are stretched to the limit looking after the bar area/room bookings etc. You might have more luck calling in on a match day and asking the actual players if they have any past stats on players. There is an old photo in the front entrance of the social club of the team but I think it's a bit before 1901, the next one after that is 1954 so a big gap.
07-Jun-2012, 08:48 AM

Hello Audrey,

I got your e-mail and I have sent one in response.

A big THANK YOU for organising this. You are a pal.

Charlie.