Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ainsdale beach
30-Aug-2012, 05:04 PM
Ainsdale beach
This is the best thing ive found in these parts so far if anybody knows it..

Its just a drive through southport towards Pontins roundabout (the one with the plane stuck in the middle of it) then just drive down to the beach there.

Its brilliant, you can park your car on the beach, pitch a tent for the day, there's a burger van and a fleet of ice cream vans on the beach too. Perfect if you have kids or just want to chill out for the day.
It can get busy though on really hot days.

much better than southport itself i think, while southport is great for shopping, the sea itself seems to be a bit of a stranger to that shore, on Ainsdale beach though its close enough for you to have a paddle if you want.

before 5 ocklock it will cost you £5, but after 5pm its free..

[Big Grin]
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
02-Sep-2012, 11:05 AM

Thanks for that, I drive past that roundabout many times but have never looked at the beach, I will now (and take my metal detector with me to probably).

Southport beach is hardly worth visiting, almost nothing going for it, the sand they used to sell from further up the road would have probably been better being laid on Southport Beach, they have almost none now.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-Sep-2012, 12:29 PM

I don't think I've ever been that far down the coastal road at least not that I can remember, I will now though I had once thought of walking the length of the beach to Liverpool, but then sat down and read the paper instead.
02-Sep-2012, 01:34 PM

the rare Natterjack toad resides down amongst the sand dunes on the coast road Noel.

djh
02-Sep-2012, 01:49 PM

Yes there was an article about them on a news program a year or so ago, Dave, but I thought that was at Formby beach, I'm probably wrong, I know there are red squirrels there, seen them.
02-Sep-2012, 06:41 PM

There is a beach area to the north of Southport that used to have a light-aircraft airport. My cousin and I used to cycle out there on nice weekends to watch the flying - mainly Austers and pre-war deHaviland stuff. The road to it went off from the first roundabout approaching the outskirts of town back in the 1950s.

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.