Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Preston Dairies
19-Oct-2012, 10:45 AM
Preston Dairies
Who remembers the 3 wheeler electric milk floats ? My Dad used to work for Preston Dairies down Longmeanygate and once when I was about 5 I went for a little spin in his float ! He had nipped home mid-morning for a bit of breakfast and I found myself sat pretending to drive the float like kids do. It was when i got off the seat and stood on the accelerator pedal that the carnage began ! I didn't have the sense to just step off the pedal and found myself frantically trying to steer myself out of trouble as I just about could see where I was going. After a couple of chicane type swerves I bumped up onto the path loosing a few crates in the process and proceeded to head straight towards the Beale household ! On St Johns Green some of the houses have the kitchen at the front and I can remember to this day Mrs Beale was stood washing up at the front window and I can still see her face etched with fear as I trundled towards her ! In the nick of time my Dad dived into the cab and averted what could have been a very interesting scenario and instead of him having a red face I had a very red bottom !!
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
19-Oct-2012, 11:14 AM

Ha ha, never altered then Phil. I remember the name well but we had Millers dairies from down Moss Lane/Bow Lane I think? Unless I'mm getting age related confused memory syndrome.
19-Oct-2012, 11:33 AM

Later on in life circa 15 I was a milk lad for Jack Heywood up Croston Road. I still see Jack from time to time and We go to Haydock races now and again with Mark Bentley who is one of my best mates and who also worked for Jack back in the day !
19-Oct-2012, 12:53 PM

I also was a Milkman in the sixties,driving the e wheel floats I originally worked at Blakes Medical Stores in Orchard Street in Preston, and was sent to work at various stores in London, I left Blakes and started work with Home Counties Dairies delivering milk around Addlestone and Weybridge,In winter ( when there was snow on the ground ) the batteries would go flat and we would have to wait for a replacement vehicle. From there I got a transfer back to Preston working with Preston Dairies around Ribbleton. Long days and working 7 days a week for long spells,

PeterG
19-Oct-2012, 03:56 PM

quote:

Originally posted by filmoss

Later on in life circa 15 I was a milk lad for Jack Heywood up Croston Road. I still see Jack from time to time and We go to Haydock races now and again with Mark Bentley who is one of my best mates and who also worked for Jack back in the day !

we used to get our milk from Jack back in the seventies Phil, until we moved down south so guess we used him for around 9 years, lived in an old farmhouse a bit delapidated looking if I remember correctly. Used to get the Jersey milk unpasturised, a bit naughty but lovely thick yellow cream on top was the attraction. Apparently we don't like having cream so they've homogonised most milks now!!
19-Oct-2012, 08:59 PM

quote:

Originally posted by noel

quote:

Originally posted by filmoss

we used to get our milk from Jack back in the seventies Phil, until we moved down south so guess we used him for around 9 years, lived in an old farmhouse a bit delapidated looking if I remember correctly. Used to get the Jersey milk unpasturised, a bit naughty but lovely thick yellow cream on top was the attraction. Apparently we don't like having cream so they've homogonised most milks now!!

I would have delivered your milk then ! He still lives in the same house and it is in the same state ! The building is listed and he lives out of just 2 downstairs rooms ! He got his Jersey milk from a guy on Wigan Rd, I think his name was Dave Pete.
19-Oct-2012, 09:34 PM

Heavens above Phil is it still there? . I thought it had gone, must have a look next time I pass there. His mum lived in a detached bungalow in front of it didn't she? It was the best milk we ever had, used to live on Riverside Avenue in '74 we moved to Bispham Ave. then end of '79 Wiltshire. Jack always collected though I think, can't remember anyone else ever collecting the money.
20-Oct-2012, 10:59 AM

quote:

Originally posted by noel

Heavens above Phil is it still there? . I thought it had gone, must have a look next time I pass there. His mum lived in a detached bungalow in front of it didn't she? It was the best milk we ever had, used to live on Riverside Avenue in '74 we moved to Bispham Ave. then end of '79 Wiltshire. Jack always collected though I think, can't remember anyone else ever collecting the money.

Yeah Jack collected, he didn't trust us with money ! His Mum used to be into shire horses she was lovely. Next time you drive by look up the drive and amongst the new houses behind you will see the house that Jack built ha ha ha ! I couldn't resist that ! [8D]
20-Oct-2012, 02:20 PM

Found it, on Google Earth, I am surprised I thought it would have been pulled down in the new housing estates. House that Jack built, like it.

I still buy milk from the "milkman" by the way, more expensive than supermarkets but tradition dies hard. Dave Pilkington at Coppull.
21-Oct-2012, 05:16 PM

And I finally noticed the house after placing it on google earth, surprised to say it looked better than it did 34 years ago.