Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Charnock Farm Restaurant
01-Jan-2013, 08:06 PM
Charnock Farm Restaurant
We normally go to Wellington Park with a bunch of friends for New Year's Eve, have done so for the past few years and thoroughly enjoyed it. This year however the powers that be decided we would go to Charnock Farm, located opposite the huge new Waitrose distribution warehouse on the A49 . I was sceptical as I'd never heard of it before, no surprise really as the banqueting hall was only finished on the day of the celebration, so we were the first guests to enjoy the facilities. Also it was £20 dearer than Wellington P. that irked me.
Rather than me go into a long description, check the site out at http://www.charnockrestaurant.com/
We were greeted by friendly staff, all youngsters ( compared to me anyway) glasses of Champagne canapes, well supplied bar huge choice of beers and wines. The food was buffet style, mains followed by desserts, all freshly prepared from local produce where available. At 12 we had a fireworks display, followed by warm bacon butties. It was nearly 18 hours later when I was able to eat again I was so full. Entertainment was by a female singer Analise who sang on and off for about 2 hours and her partner who acted as DJ for the rest of the time, and a big roaring wood fire. Loved it.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
01-Jan-2013, 10:26 PM

Noel i have looked at the on site menu and i almost had a fit [t is very expensive.I will stick to Wetherspoons,Papa Luigis
02-Jan-2013, 02:18 AM

For the ex-pats who have no idea where the Waitrose place is, how about a better address than the website's "Wigan Road, Leyland"?

From memory, it looks a lot like the farm on the Preston side of the Garden Centre at the top of Moss Lane, just short of the T-junction at Lydiate Lane (?) but I wouldn't have expected the "Charnock" name to be associated with it.

It looks really nice on the website, and I don't suppose it's any more expensive than the Dog & Partidge near Longridge, which is a long-time favorite of ours.

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
02-Jan-2013, 10:11 AM

It's a restaurant, Trevor not pub grub. There is a cafe on site which serves up cheaper food.
03-Jan-2013, 03:23 AM

I'm with you Wellfield, very expensive and a menu that sounds like Gordon Ramsay gone mad. Some of the photos look plain stupid. Warm cole slaw? celeriac boulangere? Unbelievable.
I've never paid these prices anywhere here, closer to half. I thought people were broke in the U.K.
John
03-Jan-2013, 10:18 AM

Dont quite understand why people would come on a site a criticise an establishment they have never used. There is obviously a place in the market for Charnock Farm (or the owners think there is), just as there is for Weatherspoons, Papa Luigis et al. No, its not pub grub prices but its not a pub grub experience either. If this kind of quality establishment can be a success in Leyland, then surely that's something we should celebrate, no?
03-Jan-2013, 01:05 PM

Can't understand how some of you can comment on an establishment you have not been to just by looking at a web site .The prices are high,but not unreasonable for a restaurant of its calibre.
I have been once and enjoyed my experience. I had a party for 12 family members at Farrington lodge on the 21st December and found both food and service excellent and would recommend this to anyone.
03-Jan-2013, 02:42 PM

Agree with the last two posts. I have enjoyed a few meals at Charnock Farm. Yes, the prices are perhaps higher than other places locally but the quality of the dining experience reflects this. Therefore you receive value for your money.

That's not to belittle anywhere else. I enjoy going to Papa Luigis on a Sunday evening when pizza and pasta are a fiver also.
03-Jan-2013, 04:15 PM

They are opening for weddings this year, I can see the place being a big success. I believe they also have some bedrooms, but everything is dynamic, new staff, big ambitions, good luck to them, some of us like something more appetising than grits.
03-Jan-2013, 08:58 PM

Well said Noel.