Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Australian Heatwave & Cricket
10-Jan-2013, 04:41 AM
Australian Heatwave & Cricket
How would you fancy playing cricket in 45degC?
Aussie people are facing really tough conditions.
Tail end of the "Heat Dome" seems to be here in NZ.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
10-Jan-2013, 10:57 AM

Our neighbours are over in Perth visting their daughter's family. 45 is about 15 too hot for me. When you see the programs about emigrating there it looks so warm and sunny, something we Brits aren't used to. REading about a family in Tasmania who had to jump in the nearby lake to avoid the fires, scary stuff.
10-Jan-2013, 04:03 PM

It's just our "regular" winter here in Anacortes - dull, grey and wet with low temps around 40 F and highs around 45. It was a bit blustery yesterday, winds at 35 mph gusting to 50. It rained all day and we got about 0.3".

The freezing level in the Cascades is about 2000 ft, so the skiers are having a good time. Most of the ski areas are 3500' or higher. The Mount Baker area has over 12 feet of snow.

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.
13-Jan-2013, 02:18 AM

Just been looking at Anacortes weather Frank, looks like pretty steady 2degC for next few days!BTW Anacortes Telescopes shop has gr8 website!
28-Jan-2013, 12:29 PM

The hotter the better for me. Just had Christmas in Lancashire, great holiday, crap weather! Big place here though, Record heat in Adelaide, bushfires in Tassie and Victoria, Flood evacuation due to southerly cyclone in Queensland and NSW and cyclone (unrelated) in Wa/NT, Makes Michael Fish's summary look bland. Last time my brother came here he said, "the only things we havent had are a plague of locusts and the death of everyones first born". Couldn't believe it we had a plague of locusts the week after he left Wink
28-Jan-2013, 03:05 PM

I was hit by a plague of ladybirds once in France Peter when the temp hit over 40 c on the beach one poor woman with a luminous green bathing costume had to run into the sea to get them off her they seemed attracted to the colour. Our bad weather is the government's secret weapon to combat the expected influx of benefit seekers coming in from Romania and Bulgaria after December this year. " Too cold and wet to come to the UK" Not that they'll worry, we'll probably pay their heating bills as well.[8D]
29-Jan-2013, 04:51 AM

John:

Anacortes Telescope is very well known in the US. I believe they do a lot of business on the Internet. They used to have a shop on the main street in town, but it proved too small. They're now in an industrial estate on the outskirts, about 6 miles from town center, up against the boundary of the Swinimish Tribal reservation.

They also sell guns, a point of controversy here at the moment! The law says that non-citizens can't own guns, which is fine by us. We've never taken out US citizenship, despite having been here since 1968. For a number of years, not being a citizen prevented Boeing from transferring me to some unpleasnt places in the Southern states. We've never bothered to pursue it since I retired. Taking citizenship costs about $800 each for the legal procedures involved. Renewing our alien status is quite a bit cheaper and lasts 10 years at a time.

Not being eligible to vote isn't a big deal for us. Not being liable to be called to serve as a juror is a bigger one in our favour! We get a summons about every 18 months, and it's nice to fill in the square that says "not a US citizen".

In 1966, as I approcahed graduation from RCAT Salford, we considered emigrating to Australia before I decided to contact Boeing. The opportunities for engineers back then were limited to the mining and other natural resource industries. I suppose I could have landed a job with QANTAS or Australian Airlines if I'd been thinking straight, but I didn't realise how much engineering talent was employed in the airline industry. Ah well, water under the bridge. We've been in the US since 1968 and no regrets.

Frank

Frank Damp (wife Eileen, nee Nixon)
Leyland resident 1941-1965, emigrated to the US in 1968,
retired to Anacortes, Washington State, USA in 1999.